68k Hacks
 Hack Idea
Author Topic  
AppleCore
Starting Member

Canada
21 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  18:00:05
How about a duo dock built into a a tower case. You'd have more room for hard drives and other storage. (this is just for speculation, I don't think I'd be able to pull off the hack, even if I do get a Duo and Duo dock)

No. of Macs Liberated: 1
No. of Macs: 3
No. of PCs Scrapped: 2
<END OF TRANSMISSION>

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  11:16:35
It would be cool to hack into a Quadra 900/950 case and have the slot on the top, so the 'book pops up like a piece of toast!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  11:43:48
quote:

It would be cool to hack into a Quadra 900/950 case and have the slot on the top, so the 'book pops up like a piece of toast!

leggo my eggo! interesting, the spring loading wouldn't be bad, but the real estate for location is kinda limited on the duo's derrier.

i'd like to see a lidless dock hack which supports the lcd as a second screen, would probably require a graphics card (just a hunch, dunno why) tho.

It's really nice to have our own hacks forum for daydreamin' and brainstormin' about possibilities.

hey, marchie, *maybe it was McSCSI? confused again!* done anything on the SE/dock hack yet?

has anybody seen a crossflow fan (elongated squirrel cage like blower a really long waterwheel) with the airfoil drum 7"- 9" wide and 1.25" or less in diameter? i've found stuff close, but nothing perfect yet.
http://www.consortepl.com/30mm.htm
*can't believe i typed a whole description before remembering to use links*

jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  18:08:47

The toaster idea would be cool, but I think that the force of insertion and removal would cause a problem.

I think it would be cool if it were hacked into a tower and (bear with me, I'm not sure how to describe the idea) make it so there's a rectangular piece missing from the side where the duo goes, so inserting it will complete the box as a whole.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  18:26:07
quote:

I think it would be cool if it were hacked into a tower and (bear with me, I'm not sure how to describe the idea) make it so there's a rectangular piece missing from the side where the duo goes, so inserting it will complete the box as a whole.

could the side panel of a 950 be rigged to hinge down like a G-4 minitower? a panel/box unit for the whole dock could also swing out like some old vcr's used to do the parallelogram pop-up routine. a flip-top lid would work if the bays for peripherals were lowered, but a swingout front bezel for access to a vertically oriented dock/slot would probably be the easiest hack and for actual access once hacked.

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 Feb 2002 18:27:12Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  07:25:56
That might work! The 950 side panel swings out (hinge at front), so maybe you could do it without chagine the hinge???

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

thecube84

USA
56 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  14:08:34
i have a dock that i dont use, and a duo 230 that i dont use, but no tower. i might be able to do other things... though...

--
//=\\ |L |E ><
|F (()) |R ||))Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  16:07:06
quote:

That might work! The 950 side panel swings out (hinge at front), so maybe you could do it without chagine the hinge???

cool, look into making the side panel swing out from the back and use the original hinge to swing the whole front away to insert the duo. or just make the entire side panel unscrew from the rest of the chassis for removal and use the original hinge for a front bezel access door if you can, that way you won't have to worry as much about maintaining rigidity of the unit as a whole.

jt2

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.