All Forums
 68k Hacks
 learning/experimenting machine
Author Topic  
Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  14:06:33
Having the lack of funding for such evolutions, I have not tried to hack a machine before. The risk/benefit ratio was too far off. Now that I have money and can get 68k machines cheap, I want to start. Can anybody suggest machines that are cheap and easy to understand? I want to start messing around with the pliers and solder, but I don't know where to start.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  14:21:57
quote:

Having the lack of funding for such evolutions, I have not tried to hack a machine before. The risk/benefit ratio was too far off. Now that I have money and can get 68k machines cheap, I want to start. Can anybody suggest machines that are cheap and easy to understand? I want to start messing around with the pliers and solder, but I don't know where to start.

LC III's and LC475's!. Take the top case off and you can get at every component in seconds from there... they're probably the simplest machines to get to physically, they're cheap, and the 475's are decent speed Quadras. Both are very simple to overclock if you want to play with solder, Upgrading to a full FPU in the 475 is just a case of unplugging one cpu and plugging in the new one - and if you'd like to give networking a go, half the ones I've bought came with ethernet cards in.

You could probably pick up a 33Mhz Quadra cheap if you looked, with ethernet and a full 040 and save yourself the 'work', but it sounds like you're looking to play a little with the hardware side. That is very very good!

Other people will have different ideas, though :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  14:29:17
quote:

Other people will have different ideas, though :)

not by much for a suggestion for a first hack. * hey i'm learning, read a couple of additional posts and THEN come back AFTER the maniac typist strikes! it works!*

i was going to ask what kind of machines you like ar think you might want to play with and work from there. coming up with an application and then developing a design concept is probably the way to go, but i've always been inspired by found objects or whatever is at hand and strikes my fancy so i've not been one for a systematic approach.

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  14:32:53
quote:

not by much for a suggestion for a first hack. * hey i'm learning, read a couple of additional posts and THEN come back AFTER the maniac typist strikes! it works!*

it's habit!. leaping around bulletin board systems, and being on the net since 1989, y'get into the flow of throwing opinions around quick and fast (guaranteed answers not guaranteed correct)

quote:

i've always been inspired by found objects or whatever is at hand and strikes my fancy so i've not been one for a systematic approach.

The "Buy all the cheap macs you can and play with them" approach worked for me.

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  11:24:48
I agree, a LC 475 is a good starter to hack. Very small mobo, but still lots of options. It's quite possible to get a 475 to run at 37MHz with a full '040, 128MB of RAM and a 20GB hard drive. Add in an LC PDS vide or ethernet card, and you've got a cool little mchine that can fit inside of almost anything!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  07:05:16
Once again, this is a great place to start looking..... Go the pizza boxes!

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  03:09:25
quote:

Once again, this is a great place to start looking..... Go the pizza boxes!

68k MLA ParaMedic

'Nuff said.

Btw, thanks for not linking us to those sad, sick photos that time. I would never scrap my LC475 or my 630, or any of my other Macs as a matter of fact.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.