Lounge
 OH MY GOD! GUESS WHAT TIME IT IS!
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  00:18:30
I'm sitting here, it's 12:00am on Sunday, December 28 in the Arizona (GMT-7) Timezone, and I'm thinking about, OF ALL THINGS..... THE MLAGAZINE!!!

So I'm thinking, that back in March, everyone was all like "OMG! I bet you can get that done before the end of the yearh" (Right after I said "I bet i can get it done before the end of the year")

So I let MLAgazine basically kinda "not-get-done" All year long!

And now it's time to GET IT DONE!!!

I have nothing of what I need, and I need alot.

Who has some free time, and maybe can help me gather some content about Quadras?

I need a "Difinitive Guide" to Quadras, So far I have Dana's Quadra timeline on the page and I need a whole bunch of text and maybe some other pictures.

I have SVP's story about the 840av, and I need a bit about how Cinemafia decked out his 840av (Cinemo or the guy who bought it, or someone obsessed enough to know exactly all what Cinemo did to it, or someone who can search, this is where I'm giving 'the look of cory' to you )

So I Maybe need like, a review written as though you are in 1993 or whatever, and like, the Quadra 650 (or whatever) is brand new. Maybe ML5 and his A/UX-Q700 junk (and his new camera!) could help a bit

Any quadra hacks or modifications lately?

Has anyone got anything semi-quadra related?

Just a few more quadra articles, and then I can put a back cover on, and it'll be a rather short and somewhat stumpy issue, but it'll have come out!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  02:51:45
-amazing! my account is still active here! *does little jig*-

heh... no-one has done much, because it was an ill-conceved idea in the first place... sooo... yeah. I'll stop now.

THnxkhdbfg
*returns to lurk mode

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  10:42:59
Cory I tell ya we really should tell him our idea for the new forum system. I know he'll love it.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  14:14:54
yeah, i was kinda waiting for that one

Either way, BCA, I know all that junk that you were saying, because you said it to me, no need to say it to me *here* in front of everyone...

(Eric, I'll have to put it in the MLAgazine, it'll make a nice two-page spread actually.)

(That's a pretty good idea )

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  15:03:43
A new forum system eh? This doesn't sound good. :-\

Take a trip down a Canadian Highway...
The answer to life, the universe and everything is 42Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  15:07:37
You'll find out when the MLAgazine comes out

It's actually rather nice, IMHO.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  15:13:39
quote:

You'll find out when the MLAgazine comes out

It's actually rather nice, IMHO.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

Which will be in 10 years... I have already lost interest.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  15:20:11
To use the quote without an origin, (Because it originates from everywhere I'm sure)

If you don't have anything nice to say, please do us a favor and don't say anything at all.

I find it extremely rude that you would post here, in public, on the MLA, and publicly insult my ability to get this project done.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  19:10:47
Some would also say dont respond to those who have nothing helpful to say.

I keep thinking something "new" keeps going on in these forums, but it is nothing more than chatter back and forth amoung individuals. I am crazy and make weird posts at time, but it seems like the MLA just becomes a chat room at some points in time, especially the lounge.

I dunno, thats my mini "im not a mod but I am a senior member so here is my input" rant.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  19:32:27
*cough*
But it doesn't help with the MLAgazine
*COUGH*

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  22:38:17
nothing will help that magazene. I'm sorry, but it's true; with you in charge....

THnxnvsxgc
*tired of quoting for now.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  23:27:41
quote:

Some would also say dont respond to those who have nothing helpful to say.

I keep thinking something "new" keeps going on in these forums, but it is nothing more than chatter back and forth amoung individuals. I am crazy and make weird posts at time, but it seems like the MLA just becomes a chat room at some points in time, especially the lounge.

I dunno, thats my mini "im not a mod but I am a senior member so here is my input" rant.

~The Penguin

I have to agree with you here :-\ . It is one of the main reasons I don't post here much (and yes i do read here).

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  23:47:38
quote:

nothing will help that magazene. I'm sorry, but it's true; with you in charge....

I mean this is a helpful way and not a hurtful way but you need to seek help. Every one of your posts are either hateful or making fun of someone. If it makes you feel good to berate someone for tying to better his community you have serious self esteem issues. Again I don't mean to be hurtful, I am just tying to kept what happened to me from happening to you.

--Eric

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  00:00:09
quote:

quote:

I mean this is a helpful way and not a hurtful way but you need to seek help. Every one of your posts are either hateful or making fun of someone. If it makes you feel good to berate someone for tying to better his community you have serious self esteem issues. Again I don't mean to be hurtful, I am just tying to kept what happened to me from happening to you.

And you need to know where he/we are coming from, he has a valid point/opinion. Don't tell anyone they need to get help when you do not know them.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  02:33:31
Ok, Here's the deal.....

Y'all seem to think that I am completely incapable of laying out a magazine with content in it or something, well FYI, the MLAgazine, as a PDF file, is fantastic, but to meet popular demand, I'm going to try something else. I cannot gaurantee anything yet, but it'll be a much more "live" and "up to the moment" version of the MLAgazine, and every so often, when enough new content is collected, a magazine form will be compiled.

*AGAIN*, no gaurantees.

First, I need to determine how to do what I want to do. I'm thinking that some kind of PHP/CGI/Perl/MySQL based Blog/Content Management/eGroupWare type situation would work nicely for what I want, a good front page with sections where you'll find different articles, and a few "hot" or "new" articles or whatever on the front page. Maybe an ad or two (or something) along either side of the screen (the usual blog/cms/groupware situation)
- Basically, I need to pick out a system. I'm looking now at Movable type, but I'll need to look at other things like Geeklog and (that's all I can really think of, so depending on my successes and such with IW maybe, or depending on where I can get it all hosted... I'll have to choose wisely)

Then, I' need to take the current content, and move it into the new system. Shouldn't be too much of a big deal, no?

After that, I'll want authors and anyone, really, to help adding some content, I'll probably have it set up to where you can register, and at any given time, submit an article, or a picture, or whatever, and an editor will be able to review it, edit it, and post it, or delete it or whatever.

Basically, it'll be a news site, ~ish thing. I'm considering alot of different stuff, and ideas are appreciated.

So, keep on gathering content, stop insulting me and my ideas, and I'll be checking back in with some info. (oh, and until I can get IW up'n Runnin, I'm also-kinda looking for a host )

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  16:39:44
well, everyone can admire his perciverence. -does little jig- BUT, every time I try and help him, or give him any constructive critizism, (or, indeed, most people) he goes off on a huge ranting fit about how everyone is against him, or were all arrogant asshats or something or another.

there. I said it. CORY! get some perspective, and lose that sensitivity to everything, and I'll try and stop "overanalizing" everything, OK? ok. good.

Thksjcbgwieotypuj[
*nearing the end....

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  18:39:30
The problem is, is that the last several times I tried to get help from you, I wasn't even looking for help, you didn't get the entire story before trying to help, and your information was incorrect.

Besides, did I ask for help from you? I know that you are incapable of helping me now, or you really don't want to, so I'm not asking for it from you.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  18:43:28
[locked]

er, wait, i cant do that. I CAN ask both of you to stop these childish antics though. flame wars and personal views are for AIM, or if we ever get them, PM.

I'm not even talking about this subject, I am saying in general. You are both giving new comers a bad view of what the MLA is. This is the most frequented forum, and having personal rants, flamewars and such is NOT what this place is about.

*maybe* we should have a forum similar to MiniThink on MAF, but I would prefer it if you two and any one else who is going on like this to just STOP.

~The Penguin

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  19:23:27
You're right, except that right now, he can't contact me via AIM. I've taken the precautions, so that I know I'm not consistantly being bugged by someone who has no intentions in being positive.

I am attempting to be positive in this thread, but it looks and sounds as if noone who has participated in this thread
A) knows what it's actually about, they're just replying to something said somewhere in the middle.
B) wants to help with what the thread is about, or wants to help in a productive way
C) even thinks that I should be in charge of a project like the MLAgazine.

I will not continue flaming BCA, but I would, right now, request that anyone who has anything •PRODUCTIVE• for this thread, come forward please. Anyone who only has something to say about flaming, or anything relatively nonproductive, please •DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD•

I did not know, when starting this thread, asking for some help with this large project, that was supposed to be something the whole MLA was going to help a bit with, that I would be flamed and insulted by the only people who it seems, have even read this thread.

It also comes to my attention that two of the four people who have replied to this thread are not even regulars in replying or making themselves known here at the 68kMLA, the other two who have replied, are not very helpful for the thread, and have offered no help or advice for what the thread is about.

This is one of the most dissapointing threads I've seen in a loong time.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  19:32:32
Be prepared for the crapiest idea ever Cory:

How about you poll people from here and other forums about how many, and what type of quadra they own. And then ask what the strengths and weakness of the machines are for them, and they use them for. And you could compile that into a nice article about the modern day uses of every Quadra model is and so forth.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  20:04:19
That is a great idea, It shouldn't be too hard to do on most forums, just create a thread with a poll and then add up the results.

I think I should do that...

I guess my first and best stop would be AppleFritter, then MacAddict, after that I'm not registered at any forums worth my time, and/or I don't know about them...

Which forums would you suggest?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  20:09:27
Applefritter and MacAddict would do the job. Just get them to put what model they use, and then get them to reply at the bottom about what they use it for, what its good for, and waht it is bad at. Im sure I can find a few more mac forums tommorrow. If you did it at enough, you could get a fairly good snapshot of teh Quadra community, which would be intereasting to hear about.

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  20:22:15
Cory, you have to be careful about what you say,

I am helpful to this thread, or atleast trying, by keeping it from degrading to a flamewar.

Telling people they are not giving you what you want is not going to be very encouraging at all. A Poll is a great idea, rather than throwing around lavish plans and demanding help. Being blunt is more time effective, but often has dangerous side effects.

If you are trying to keep things going the right way, then don't respond to this here in the forums, you have my AIM and email address. I would suggest the same with BCA.

I know I hold no authority, but oh well. Coxy said how this community doesn't need mods most of the time because it almost self moderates, I am just trying to do my part. I am not demanding anything from anyone, merely asking it politely as a fellow MLA'r that has been around since before the MLA was the MLA. I sit here as a lurker most times because I honestly do not own any 68k's any more. I have little to contribute nowdays, besides mainly opinions and just general mac related questions and answers. However I still like being here because of the community it is, and I am asking you to keep it that way.

Thank you for your time,

~The Penguin

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  20:26:21
Instead of using normal forum poll software, someone should write a html script for a poll that will get the answer to all teh questions required for teh article. Take for example:

Do you own one of more quadras?
How many quadras do you own?
What model is the most used?
What do you use this model for?
What are its strengths
What are its weakeness
[If more than 1] What is the second most used model
So on..

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  20:27:55
OK, I'll go to AppleFritter and ask there in a small while, I'll also try to get MAF tonight.

Penguin - I understand that you're just trying to keep the peace, but it isn't helpful for the topic of the thread.

Yes, I have your eMail address and AIM, I use them when I want to talk directly to you, what I write into the messagebox on the MLA, is stuff that I am happy with everyone being able to see. :shrug:

I think I'll have to start a new topic about the MLAgazine, so iff'n it's MLAgazine related, new thread coming in just a moment.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.