Small, subtle 6100 changes
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  20:58:40
I'm not one for big messy case mods...

http://www.danamania.com/gallery/beige/abl looks rather neat & simple though =)

(even if I have daft old eyesight that makes it impossible to focus on something that's purely blue)

dana
--

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  22:02:49
quote:

. . . or dirty cases either it would seem!

Is it real or is it PhotoShop?

Happy Holidays!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  22:09:32
quote:

quote:

. . . or dirty cases either it would seem!

Is it real or is it PhotoShop?

It's very real :). I dropped into the electronics place near here and grabbed a blue and a white LED to play about with. I don't know what to do with the white just yet.

The 6100 and its keyboard though, is freshly bleached from one end to the other, on tuesday :D!

http://www.danamania.com/gallery/beige/abm

dana

Edited by - danamania on 17 Dec 2003 22:15:20Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  22:11:53
Very nice! Oh and jt...i really do think thats real.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  22:15:13
Oops...we posted at the same time!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  22:22:47
quote:

It's very real :). I dropped into the electronics place near here and grabbed a blue and a white LED to play about with. I don't know what to do with the white just yet.

The 6100 and its keyboard though, is freshly bleached from one end to the other, on tuesday :D!

I figured the LED was real . . . it was that cherry case the looked unreal!

Way cool, maniac!

Happy Holidays!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  22:25:10
Sweet. I really like the look of the blue LEDs. Now you've got me eyeing my keyboard.
This is clearly a case of the UMF(Unseen mystical force) it makes you do things things that others are doing.

The UMF is very strong in this one.

--Eric

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  22:29:42
I think this quote pretty well sums up what I am thinking.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
--Albert Einstein

--Eric

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  00:20:33
hey dana,

post some procedures as to how you got your cherry case condition, I have some plastics that need revitalizing, they aint yellowed, just dirty.

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  05:24:02
Very nice maniac!
I'm sure the 6100 loves being clean, my machines are getting jealous.

BTW, JT, that is an awesome pogo-hampster animation

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  05:47:42
FYI, I managed to get about 4 years worth of yellowing off the lid of my Q700 by putting it in a sink with water and washing up liquid, scrubbing it like crazy, and then leaving it to dry.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  07:09:23
Elbow Grease.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  07:53:55
My dad had some kind of "brothers'" cleaning fluid, it worked wonders on my old Dell Optiplex before I had to sell it...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  20:52:48
I changed out the LED on my Q800 today. Looks awesome. I am contemplating changing the power LED in B&W G3. Those things are expensive, I need to find somewhere cheaper to find them. 3 dollars a pop adds up fast. I've got lots of stuff I want to put them in.

--Eric

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  21:49:00
quote:

I changed out the LED on my Q800 today. Looks awesome. I am contemplating changing the power LED in B&W G3. Those things are expensive, I need to find somewhere cheaper to find them. 3 dollars a pop adds up fast. I've got lots of stuff I want to put them in.

Yes :). They're $3 each here too, which is OK for a few here & there, which is all I want. the Apple Colour Display that's sitting on domi is next :).

As for a process for my cleaning - it basically involves a tub of hot water & bleach (I used chlorine this week, I've used oxygen bleach before) and just soaking the plastic bits. That doesn't mean dunk anything with plastic ON it completely underwater, it means JUST the plastic bits. remove them first!

After a few hours soaking in that, all the gunk in the little pores on the texture of the macs either comes off with a light brushing (while still in the cooled bleachstuff) or has been bleached clear anyway so you can't see it :).

After a good old hand dry, most everything is good as new. It doesn't do anything for yellowing, but works on just about everything else, from sticker goo to the grime around on/off switches that's been embedded in by ten years of fingers

dana
--
http://www.danamania.com/

Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  23:28:36
That is also most how I do it. I use laundry detergent in addition to bleach. I gave my keyboard and Q800 a bath tonight. The Q800 is still soaking. Unfortunately it looks like it is mostly yellowing and not dirt. The kb looks new though.

--Eric

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  09:40:45
quote:

As for a process for my cleaning - it basically involves a tub of hot water & bleach (I used chlorine this week, I've used oxygen bleach before) and just soaking the plastic bits. That doesn't mean dunk anything with plastic ON it completely underwater, it means JUST the plastic bits. remove them first!

After a few hours soaking in that, all the gunk in the little pores on the texture of the macs either comes off with a light brushing (while still in the cooled bleachstuff) or has been bleached clear anyway so you can't see it :).

After a good old hand dry, most everything is good as new. It doesn't do anything for yellowing, but works on just about everything else, from sticker goo to the grime around on/off switches that's been embedded in by ten years of fingers

dana
--

The bleach doesnt take off the silkscreened computer names?

COOOOOOL

CCC

Commander
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  09:50:30
quote:

The bleach doesnt take off the silkscreened computer names?

It hasn't yet. However it HAS semi-bleached one of the little apple logos a paler colour in patches. oops!

I pop those out when I do things now =)

dana
--

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  14:11:48
the outbound I am bleaching has no apple logos, so we are golden in that respect :)

CCC

Commander

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  22:22:16
I wonder how hard it would be for me to bathe all the keys on a generic [SuperMac] ADB keyboard… [cause the sides of all my keys are looking pretty filthy…]

heh, though I should probly try to de-gunk my PowerComputing keyboard first [oh look the #2 key stayed down for 2 seconds! -- Literally!]

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  10:38:54
LOL, I'm going to have to find my iMac keyboard and give it a lil' bit of a treatment, because it needs to be cleaned The TiBook keyboard as well, I'm afraid, all of my TiBook is all 'yeah' it's got 15 years of grime, in just a few months (it used to live on a CompUSA Demo Rack...)

And the blue/white has a bunch of grime in and out... If I still lived in WA, I would probably take it all apart and wash it's plastics one by one

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Dec 2003 :  14:16:34
Ain't modding fun? Hopefully by the end of today, my PM8100 will be all decked out for Christmas with a RED LED! I can't wait.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  10:08:25
I'm having fun modding all sorts of stuff. Hackinstein meets Hackintosh!

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  18:28:04
Hackintosh is fun LC475 in an old Acer PC case (it was an Acer right? it looked like an Acer or an AST )

What's hackenstein?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Dec 2003 :  17:59:24
Cory, yep, you're right. Its my little FrankenMac. Its an evil machine, but its evil in a good way. I'd have the page uploaded now, but last night when i was making the new Hackintosh website, the bloody PowerMac, which i was doing it on, crashed, and i hadn't saved it, so i lost it. So i'm going to do it again this afternoon. It'll probably be up tomorrow. ANd yes, i finally have completed the Hackintosh. The motherboard is installed, the case's original rocker switch is hooked up and everything. All i have to do is to blu-tak the mobo into place, and then make the damn website again!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1

Edit - Btw, i installed that red LED in the PM8100, but the pics of it I took didn't come out all that well...

Edited by - maclover5 on 26 Dec 2003 18:00:40Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 26 Dec 2003 :  19:36:14
Your camera is probably set to reduce red-eye and it thinks the red light is red eye. lol

Anyways, when doing mods, the Glue Gun is my favorite friend.. and same with duct tape. ;-)

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Dec 2003 :  00:48:22
Good point...my cam does have red eye reduction.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.