General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Shameless donation begging!
Author Topic  
~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  06:34:55
I've just ended up paying AUS$130 for our half-yearly bandwidth costs. The host was happy to maintain us for free when we were small, but now that we're pulling 2-3 GB of bandwidth a month (and think how much it'd be if we were always up!) costs have to be accounted for. I'm happy to do it since I realise that the forums can't be maintained from donations alone, but donations would be nice...

I do apologise for pan-handling when the reliability of the forums has been quite crappy recently, but hopefully we'll have a new, much more reliable host set up soon.
In the interim, I'd appreciate a few bucks if you'd like to chip in. My paypal account is coxy@ucc.asn.au.

Cheers!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  06:41:08
Iff'n I can get any money from MLAgazine (advertising and such) I'll be sure to paypal some of it over to you, but other than that, I'm flat broke

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  07:35:46
Now, @ 130 members, & $130 each (I do realise that we have more members), now erm carry the 2, put the 4 over the 8, no it is too difficult, but just $1 would be a help?

I'm not loaded but I can do that, just to say thanks for the service that has been provided.

shaktiman goes away to check PayPal charges.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  13:15:26
I just remembered about the few remaining dollars in my PayPal account. I just sent over $5.00 USD (AUS wasn't an option, but converts to $6.90 AUS). It's a small contribution, but it's something.

Even though these are hard times for all of us, everyone probably has a spare dollar or two that they can throw in. Proudly support the MLA!

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

32 68K Macs Liberated
Beholder of the Prototype Stick of Justice!Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  16:10:17
$130

ouch!!

sersiously ... that seems quite alot ... the host i use (Web Mania) charge £20/year for 6gb/month transfers and 500mb of space on a linux server with php/perl/mySQL etc (although no ASP)... so thats about $55 AUS ... a year! ... and so far for me they have had pretty much 100% uptime too...

tis just something to think about

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

dave1212

Canada
65 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  18:36:33
Yeah, that's ass.. I will try to get some funds together to donate.. should have asked last week, I just donated to the EFF.

However, I would be willing to bet that the bandwidth would be cut down a bunch if we used a different BBS system.. I have ran a few boards for a couple of years, and have gone through many different CMS and BBS systems. I'll post some ideas later on.. too much bob to write right now.. ;)

Liberated 68xxx Macs: IIsi, IIci (2), LC II, Classic II (2)

Liberated PowerPC Macs:
Powerbook 5300cs, Power Mac 7500/100

Other:
Color StyleWriter 2400, AppleCD 150 (cd-caddy type!), Apple 12" Monochrome Display, Apple Color Display (13")Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  18:46:58
I'll see what i can do...you'll probably have to wait till next year though.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  19:05:21
Ouch.
<brag>I get 40GB bandwidth a month, altho a b*tch of a cost</brag>

I will pitch in once I get my money balanced, new iPod has the bank drained, heh.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  19:12:16
Ill chuck in a few dollars once I have my fathers Paypal account up again to pay for the Oboe. Im sorry...but would 10 AUD be ok?

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  21:23:27
quote:

However, I would be willing to bet that the bandwidth would be cut down a bunch if we used a different BBS system..

From what I've heard about Snitz, you're right.
Also, please don't feel that you have to donate, or that a certain amount isn't enough; it's all appreciated, and thanks to those who passed a few bucks my way so far!

Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  15:32:00
I don't have PayPal linked to my checking account so I am unable to pay that way. Is there someone in the states that I could send a money order to that can forward it to ~Coxy via PayPal? Also ~Coxy if you are able to cash a money order from the states with out having to pay any large fees I would be willing to send it directly to you.

--Eric

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  17:33:43
quote:

I don't have PayPal linked to my checking account so I am unable to pay that way. Is there someone in the states that I could send a money order to that can forward it to ~Coxy via PayPal? Also ~Coxy if you are able to cash a money order from the states with out having to pay any large fees I would be willing to send it directly to you.

I -think- Western Union money orders work now to oz. I don't paypal either, but I'll happily pop off an auspost money order if you have somewhere I can send it!

dana
http://www.danamania.com/gallery/

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  18:22:17
I have had troubles with finding a place that would accept foreign money orders, and my bank certainly dislikes foreign cheques.

For my fellow Aussies, you can always use direct deposit or send a money order. Fire off an email: coxy@ucc.asn.au

Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

CmdrPlunge
Starting Member

USA
29 Posts
Posted - 10 Dec 2003 :  18:53:45
RR1,

I will. I am going to send a PayPal to ~Coxy anyways. Let me know.

----------------------
Macs liberated: 2
Macs Owned: 3
Cat vs. SEGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.