gratuitious bandwidth request
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  01:49:15
Ok, this is silly but...

I want to reach 1GB served this month from domi, the faithful 6100...

however with 2 days left in the month I still have about 33mb to go. So if you all could take a peek around the gallery at http://www.danamania.com/gallery/ then it'll help tip things over =). Load lots of the big images, peek around, spend some time there, add comments to images... all that kind of thing.

It's no sillier than posts to increase post count :)
dana
http://www.danamania.com/gallery/

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  01:57:59
Glad to help 'ya out!

I thought domi was a 605 though?

I'll peek around and see what all www.danamania.com has to offer

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  03:49:15
I just opened like everything so it is loading right now, hope you reach your goal! TML out!

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:28Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  09:56:31
Put up a 33MB file, and I'll download it. :-P

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  15:25:00
quote:

Glad to help 'ya out!

I thought domi was a 605 though?

I'll peek around and see what all www.danamania.com has to offer

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

Nah, check her blog...she said that she replaced the 605 with a 6100...

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  16:29:27
hehe ... ill make a point to visit the gallery alot over the next few days ... i hope it helps

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  17:35:40
yay I got there. Thanks people =). 3 cheers for small arbitrary milestones... Do still visit if you want to peek in, of course :D

cory: The 605 changed to a 6100 not long ago. As soon as I installed Gallery the whole thing was pretty marginal with more than one person browsing at once, so I went for the next best upgrade, a PPC pizzabox which is surprisingly quiet.

alien: I could have put a 33mb file up but that wouldn't be terribly nice to inflict on you... not with my 64kbit outbound speed :D (until a bandwidth upgrade later in december, that is)

dana

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  18:04:19
heh, just checking. I knew that you had a 6100 upp'n running, but I didn't know that you had given it the name "domi"

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  19:27:33
I'm thinking of having my 605 doing some web serving, just not sure how or what yet.

I'm in the middle of creating complex Applescripts to init the networks and keep backups flowing every few hours.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  19:42:41
I take it that the 605 is running OS 7/8?

If you don't need/want dynamic content, MacHTTP would do the job just great. I've even heard rumors that you can make some CGI based forums run on a MacHTTP box, but you'd have problems getting MySQL to run in System 7 (please notify me though, if you do get MySQL running on system 7, because I would love to do whatever you're doing, to get that )

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  01:13:17
An 040 is too slow to do any MySQL, even under Linux. Once it reaches a few transcations per second/minute it will start to kill performance. Maybe you could run a small blog, but that's about it and if you got too many visitors it would just flop over and die.

Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  01:55:49
quote:
alien: I could have put a 33mb file up but that wouldn't be terribly nice to inflict on you... not with my 64kbit outbound speed :D (until a bandwidth upgrade later in december, that is)

Wouldn't have been a problem, I have 8 Mbit DSL, so I would have just let it run in the background. But, you made it without "cheating", so that's even better.

I just watched the complete gallery. Nice. We have something in common: a thing for derelict buildings. I'll send you some (crappy) pics of the abandoned gasworks near my house. It's not as desolate as the one in your gallery, but it's nice. Too bad they're planning on turning it into a fairgrounds.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  18:24:20
Is that how bad MySQL will be on an 040?

I should get out my IIsi and watch those transactions flop around with MySQL and PHP As it is, I have very little traffic on my forum (Genecomp.NET ) because it's never online, and I'd think that it'd be cool to at least see what it'd do

Did dana reach her goal? I know that it's less than 2 days now, here for the next month (I think)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  21:01:05
Anyone know what Oracle SQL is like on an 040 running A/UX? I bet it runs ok since it was designed for machines of its own vintage. I bought a copy of it on ebay a while ago and havent played with it yet. I will post the CDROM image if enough people want it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3637831084&category=3773&rd=1

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  21:37:03
Sweet you bought that. I was going to but forgot to go back and bid on it.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 30 Nov 2003 :  20:34:53
Iff'n you want to upload that image, I'll download and burn it and attempt to pull everything together with my IIsi so that it'll run A/UX. The only challange then will be Apache. I do know that ML5 is working on that, and there is other possibilities for webservers with PHP support. (That would make an interesting twist to the setup as well...)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  16:15:47
quote:
Did dana reach her goal? I know that it's less than 2 days now, here for the next month (I think)

quote:
yay I got there. Thanks people =). 3 cheers for small arbitrary milestones... Do still visit if you want to peek in, of course :D

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  18:27:23
quote:

Wouldn't have been a problem, I have 8 Mbit DSL, so I would have just let it run in the background. But, you made it without "cheating", so that's even better.

I just watched the complete gallery. Nice. We have something in common: a thing for derelict buildings. I'll send you some (crappy) pics of the abandoned gasworks near my house. It's not as desolate as the one in your gallery, but it's nice. Too bad they're planning on turning it into a fairgrounds.

Dang. still, the same has happened to most of the interesting looking decaying places here. There's many I remembered being around, but have been torn down and the ground left as is. The area where the gasworks are is now floodplain, as levee banks have been put up in that area of the city (the southeast) and where once were gasworks, industrial sites, packaging plants and the like it's now just green field. Probably a lot nicer on the eyes to people living nearby :).

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  18:38:51
quote:

Is that how bad MySQL will be on an 040?

I found mySQL ran usably on the first 605 I installed Linux on. I had PHP forums up and going for a little while, but they suffered the same problem as Gallery - PHP was really really sluggish when things got complex. I added in a PHP accelerator which saved the compiled PHP it really sped up, sql access and all - but suffered from using even MORE memory.

Incidentally, I reached 1109861 MB last month, or 1.06GB. whee.

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  18:40:37
quote:

heh, just checking. I knew that you had a 6100 upp'n running, but I didn't know that you had given it the name "domi"

I didn't REALLY, but when I'm talking to people online and say I've put a new image up, I usually just say it's on domi. the habit has stuck.

The 6100's name is really Hamster :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  08:10:14
quote:

Ok, this is silly but...
I want to reach 1GB served this month from domi, the faithful 6100...

Oooh. A small update - Since changing from 256/64kbit dsl to 512/512 and making things quite a bit nicer to browse for everybody... I've managed to get up to a GB served in 8 days.

yay little server (even if she's a PPC who really does want to be a 68k :).

I get the feeling the speed before was making it just unbearable for a lot of people. (not like it wasn't obvious, there just wasn't much I could do about it until now :)

dana
http://www.danamania.com/gallery/

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  10:04:18
Niice, I'll have to take a better look now soon. I haven't really noticed that much, being a dialupper, but yeah, I have been told that it was a bit 'slow' before

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.