UNIX on 68k
 The complete Manuals for A/UX Release 2
Author Topic  
Alcina
Starting Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  12:54:51
...I think! Just sat sitting on a shelf in a colleague's office. Rather a lot of white binders - about 3 feet of shelf space! I have a slim volume called "Road Map to A/UX" in front of me dated 1990, which lists: A/UX Installation Guide, Setting up Accounts and Peripherals for A/UX, A/UX Essentials, A/UX Communications User's Guide, A/UX System Administrator's Reference and A/UX Programming Languages and Tools Vol.2 . No sign of software :(

What *really* galls, is that a year ago I...I'm sorry, I have to come clean...I chucked out a whole load of IIci's and the like, including what I now think was a Workgroup Server. Bwaaahhhh....why oh why oh why can't I discover about things like A/UX *before* I get offered the hardware???? Other than the SE/30 I don't have a single machine that can run it! Time to scour the College's cellars and attics again...

Bad Alcina...Alcina bad...
=8-(

======================================
Plus, SE, SE/FDHD, SE/30, Classic, Classic II, Color Classic, LC475, Quadra 660AV, Powerbook 520, 6100, Powerbook 5300cs, Wallstreet, Beige G3, Bondi Blue iMac, Pismo

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  06:48:03
Nice find! Sorry to hear about all the Macs that got chucked out though.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  08:45:33
Quadra era machines are easy to find, A/UX documentation isnt.

Go to Top of Page

Alcina
Starting Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts
Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  12:28:23
quote:

Quadra era machines are easy to find, A/UX documentation isnt.

This is true. But it is *so* my life! However, I'm on the trail of a IIci as I type...time to swap some favours! <- just discovered the emoticons! Sorry!

Alcina
=8-)

Plus, SE, SE/FDHD, SE/30, Classic, Classic II, Color Classic, LC475, Quadra 660AV, Powerbook 520, 6100, Powerbook 5300cs, Wallstreet, Beige G3, Bondi Blue iMac, PismoGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  18:51:42
fun-fun-fun...

are you going to become A/UX addicted and begin your collection of a whole lab-worth of A/UX running macs? (I've only ever had one, but hey, it's a dream right? )

It took me forever to figure out how to ouse the emoticons, and then at other forums, I keep using the brackets

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  21:47:48
I will probably turn my IIfx into an a/ux 2.0 machine and then try to dig up some os 6.x software. My q950 server is running a/ux 3.1 now and will stay that way. The rest will run flavors of os 7, and 9 (dont see a need for 8.x really)

Go to Top of Page

Alcina
Starting Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts
Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  04:16:26
Aha!!!! Je le trouve! One Quadra 700 with 20Mb RAM and a very noisy 160Mb hard drive!

I did a basic quick install on Friday just to see if it worked (it did! Wooot! ), I've now located a quieter hard drive, and am installing the entire lot (the basic install is just the core unix files - not even any man pages!).

The irony of the find is that it took me a while to realise that the reason it wouldn't boot on any of my floppies was because it had a PowerPC upgrade card in it. A few years ago if I'd found a Quadra with an unbeknown PowerPC upgrade card in it I'd have been over the moon! Today I'm seriously pissed! . I do think the Quadra looks the part though, very server-like!

Alcina

Plus, SE, SE/FDHD, SE/30, Classic, Classic II, Color Classic, LC475, Quadra 660AV, Powerbook 520, 6100, Powerbook 5300cs, Wallstreet, Beige G3, Bondi Blue iMac, PismoGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.