All Forums
 Compact Macs
 The Classic Smashing Muskateers
Author Topic  
Alb2550
Starting Member

25 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2003 :  00:43:40
Some people may have read my post on the mac classic I found in real bad condition (screen, case and part of analog board smashed) well here's a little info on the people who were responsible for causing the damage:

We don't get alot of mac stuff where I live since we have muskateers,
they're a group who fix PC's and give them away to organisations.
Strangely I've seen mac stuff locked away in their warehouse but they deny it.
The only way I've seen a mac leave the warehouse is extremely violent and in many pieces.
Anything that is not a PC or doesn't work is taken apart and thrown out or deliberately broken and thrown out, they smash holes in every single Hard Disk they throw out because they know we go there to get stuff out of their bin, sometimes they even have the nerve to send someone out to the bin to say that nothing works.

These people are evil and should NOT be trusted!

Alb_2550@hotmail.com
2x LC475's
1x LCIII
1x Mac SE

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2003 :  02:13:32
Gah, idiots. I hate people like that. KILL!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 27 Dec 2003 :  00:59:33
I do understand the drilling of the hard disks. With the holes in the platters it makes it much harder to get the data off of. That is a valid security concern especially sense they know that you go and get the disks.

Though afters putting holes in the drive they should be melted down and recycled. I know a electronics recycler and most of his contracts require that the drives be drilled and melted down.

The stuff that does not work or is not wanted should be recycled and not thrown away.

By the way who are these people.

--Eric

Edited by - redrouteone on 27 Dec 2003 01:00:21Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Dec 2003 :  07:00:14
quote:

I do understand the drilling of the hard disks. With the holes in the platters it makes it much harder to get the data off of. That is a valid security concern especially sense they know that you go and get the disks.

YUP! The best story about drilling HDD platters was Dr. Bob's over on fritter: I can't remember which, but he said he used to drill them with a either a 7.62 or a 5.56 mm "bit" out at the range.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 27 Dec 2003 :  14:32:47
quote:
I hate people like that. KILL!

Ditto!!

Humm…I've got a rusty Machete… So where are they again? [I'll drop by if it's on the way to imacman's house… {that is if I feel like ~+150$ is worth it just to teach someones a lesson…}]

heh, I got like ~6 Hard drives from Lazer Quick, but they had left EVERYTHING on there, I wound up with like 4 copies of Photoshop 5.0, illustrator, and old copies of M$ office
also, there were pictures of customers, and work they had been doing… [I got to see a family tree, and some random junk]

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  16:38:01
If they are tossing CRTs into the dumpster, report 'em. If it isn't illegal to dump them, then fight to make it illegal. CRTs are toxic and shouldn't be left to leech into the water system.

It is pretty bad these days because monitors seem to be more disposable than televisions, and nobody gives them a second thought.

Go to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  16:41:15
Another thought: I recall reading a story a while back where people have parties to smash old stuff, with the highest points going to people who smashed old and rare stuff. While our society doesn't play it out to the same extreme, I have seen this played out on numerous occasions (smash an old car, vandalize the old to get something new, etc.).

They are wasteful idiots.

Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  20:54:11
anger, pure anger. . .

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,8500/180,G3,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  21:26:40
quote:

Another thought: I recall reading a story a while back where people have parties to smash old stuff, with the highest points going to people who smashed old and rare stuff. While our society doesn't play it out to the same extreme, I have seen this played out on numerous occasions (smash an old car, vandalize the old to get something new, etc.).

They are wasteful idiots.

My friends and I smash junk for fun... Old computers that don't run or on their last legs, and other random things that aren't functional, and then we dispose of them... Well, now that I think about it, I was going to try and defend myself and then I was like, wait, I'm not wasting anything, it's already broken or dying, so it doesn't matter, we dispose of everything properly afterward too, so nevermind.... eventually I should put together a little video of everything that has been destroyed...

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.