All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 AUX Install Help
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 05 Sep 2003 :  21:16:03
When I try and install AUX, it stops partway complaining about an invalid argument for mounting a certian partition.

I used the boot disk for AUX and it loaded the boot system and cd file system and started the WGS 95 install system.

It partitioned the drives and installed the base Mac OS system but as soon as it wanted to install the AUX software it had this error. Something like "invalid argument, error mounting "/etc/etc""

I can't recall the message, I quit it after a few tries.

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2003 :  06:49:35
The usual suspect for A/UX install problems is the CD-ROM drive. Using anything newer than, or other than, an Apple-branded 2X drive (model 300, 300i or 300e, caddy or tray loader) is a risky proposition and will often result in a variety of seemingly random errors. I've also read that if the CD drive's SCSI ID is anything other than 6, installation may not work. This hasn't been my experience (most internal CD drives come set to ID 3 and I've installed A/UX on a number of machines with that configuration), but who knows--it might be true sometimes.

The other suspect is the CD itself. If you're using a CD-R, it could have some problems.

But the CD drive is the most likely culprit.

Good luck!

Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, OS 8.1
- "Mystic" Color Classic, full '040, 36/700/enet, OS 8.1Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2003 :  19:13:35
What machine are you trying to install this on? Did you verify the install CD when you burned it? Is that the exact error message, or just an approximation? What is the exact error message? I dont think that this is a CDROM problem, because most of the CD problems wont let it remount the CD because the CD can't reset itself fast enough. That occurs before any installation takes place. BTW, I used an ancient 4 plex plextor I keep around for that purpose. Try reformatting the drive. Just wipe the thing clean out and then use HDSC to test the drive and then format the drive automatically when prompted during the AUX install routine. I had tried partitioning the drive manually a couple of times myself and finally I decided to let it go automatically and it did the trick when I installed it on my machine.

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  22:10:34
Also, NEVER mount an A/UX cd image before you burn it... (just checking and schtuff)

what CDROM drive and hard drives and schtuff are you installing with/to?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  22:33:47
It's an Apple 12X CD-ROM, so I'm sure that's the culprit. I am going to be giving the machine to a friend in Kelowna, since has runs multiple servers and He can run it and giveme access.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2003 :  13:45:40
Got a 2X or 4X to try it with?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  03:01:24
Yeah. An Apple BoatAnchor™ drive should do the job.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2003 :  05:18:15
Nope just a 8x.

I did wonder if I could somehow do a device copy to a hard drive and install that way. But, not sure.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Sep 2003 :  11:09:24
Have you tried it with the 8X?

somewhere I saw a list of non-apple CDROM drives that'll work maybe you have one of them?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.