68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 LC / Performa
 Performa 580 - how d'ya get to the mainboard?
Author Topic  
zed_zero
Starting Member

Australia
8 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2003 :  05:05:22
Greets,

I need to change the PRAM battery on a recently acquired 580 (thinks its 1952 and the hard drive icon disappears off the desktop). I've managed to get the plastic cover off the back and undone the two screws on the steel plate there but after heaps of jiggling and mashing about I can't seem to get any further. I don't want to break anything else (already broke the little tabs on the plastic cover plate) so can someone advise as to how to proceed.

Ta.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2003 :  06:22:50
Step 1: Shut down the machine and disconnect all cables

Step 2: Take out the screws that hold that back panel on at the bottom

Step 3: Unclip and remove the back panel

Step 4: Remove the screws on the steel plate

Step 5: Grab the handle and pull

Hope this helps!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

zed_zero
Starting Member

Australia
8 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2003 :  05:32:01
I've already pulled that handle until it started bending. I'll give it a real good yank and I guess it will either slide open or break (sigh).

Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2003 :  19:56:30
That handle has to bend quite a bit until the board slides out. The reason is because it is wedged inside of a 6 in long card edge connector that needs to be tight to make a good connection.

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  05:59:41
it shouldn't break, on the P575, I know that I usually pulled on the scsi/adb/serial ports (or just about thereabouts) and it usually worked out good enough

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Sep 2003 :  06:27:28
quote:

That handle has to bend quite a bit until the board slides out. The reason is because it is wedged inside of a 6 in long card edge connector that needs to be tight to make a good connection.

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBook

Exactly. It is quite tight, and you do feel like you're about to break it, but you will get it out if you give it enough oomph. Once you've done it once or twice, you'll have the hang of it.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

zed_zero
Starting Member

Australia
8 Posts
Posted - 05 Sep 2003 :  19:06:21
Thank you all, it worked out just fine. I got the motherboard out and a computer supplier only a few clicks away has both types of PRAM batteries in stock for AU$33.

There's an interesting story as to how I got this machine... I wondered into a computer shop about two months ago and saw it in a shopping trolley with a printer and modem in there as well. I opened with something like "Oh, I see you have an old Mac 'ere..." and the store owner explained that he knew nothing about Macs. Apparently this was the first one he'd had in his shop. He asked me if I knew anything about it and the first thing I could tell him was that it was roughly equivalent to a 486.

He wasn't too impressed with that so I added that it probably had about a 500meg HDD and maybe 20megs of RAM at best. Next thing, he wants to sell it to me for thirty bucks with the colour HP printer and 36k modem that were in the trolley. I said I'd think about it *if* it had enough RAM. I once had an LC575 and after upgrading it to 20-odd megs of RAM it would still regularly crash in Netscape 2!

So I sets the 'puter up and plugs 'er in and switches the power on. Nothing happens. I honestly forgot all about the keyboard switch and thought the computer was dead. I told the store owner as much and that I wasn't interested. So guess what? He offers to *give* me the lot. Take it all out of here he says. I agreed (of course) and explained that it might just be a dead power supply. The store owner really wanted nothing more to do with it and said if I didn't take it, he'd throw it out.

I take the computer home, set it up, connect the keyboard this time and notice that damned button on the top right-hand corner. Pressed it and "BONG!" she arcs up! And if all this isn't enough, first thing I do is look for how much RAM the rig is carrying and was amazed to see a whopping 52MB onboard. Beeeeaudy!!!

Edited by - zed_zero on 05 Sep 2003 19:10:07Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 05 Sep 2003 :  19:22:43
quote:
So I sets the 'puter up and plugs 'er in and switches the power on. Nothing happens. I honestly forgot all about the keyboard switch and thought the computer was dead. I told the store owner as much and that I wasn't interested. So guess what? He offers to *give* me the lot. Take it all out of here he says. I agreed (of course) and explained that it might just be a dead power supply. The store owner really wanted nothing more to do with it and said if I didn't take it, he'd throw it out.

fate? coincidence?
more evidence for the mac relativity theory. . .

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 05 Sep 2003 :  21:19:15
Nice score. Proof positive Macs can sense good folks and bad folks.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 Sep 2003 :  23:51:03
Not bad! But yes, Macs can tell the difference between nice people and evil people. I'm glad it didn't get chucked out.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2003 :  01:47:38
wowness... 52MB... sounds like a pretty good find then?

I love how macs can sense the people

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2003 :  07:31:15
*forgets* the power button on the keyboard - I'm going to use that next time I'm in a shop

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.