All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 8500 nightmare week
Author Topic  
Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2003 :  19:14:11
Crazy… I had finally backed up all ov the stuph I had on a spare 4 GB Barracuda hard drive, so I decided to install a second operating system on my 8500. First I tried MkLinux, but I was far from certain that I was partitioning the drive properly. Docs say that the partition order is crucial, yet never specifies what the orders are supposed to be. Reboot to the MkLinux installer and weird "MESH" errors.
So I gave up on Mk for now. I decided to try MacOSX Server… which I could have sworn is supported on PowerSurge machines. Anyway, the installers (v1.0, 1.2) both said that my machine was unsupported, but that I could select in the "special" menu to install anyway. Then when I did so, and the 8500 was to reboot into the installer- it would not do so properly. Back in OS 9.1 again.
So I break out XPostFacto and try to install Jaguar! For the most part ok, XPF copied kexts and such to the destination drive. Then when I restarted, more weird MESH errors. The XPF doc suggests that this is sometimes caused by weird timing ov the startup process, especially with upgrade cards ( like my Crescendo G3 556…). Instead ov trying the CD "throttle" control when I got back to OS 9, I could not reboot for a while (days), and when I was able to- after pulling the battery off ov the board- the 8500 refused to recognize any ov my hard drives. I needed to redo the jumpers on my cd drive, which had not been a problem before, pull the battery again, and restart through lots ov crazy crashes. Took "Norton Disk Doctor" ov all crazy things to explain that the block header and copy were both corrupt, and repaired them. This has finally rendered the 8500 running again!
Only remaining weird problem is that my other 4GB drive is now seen as "unsupported", 2048 GB. Crazy… on my B&W G3 SCSI card it shows up normally, as the proper volume formatting and capacity. Re-erased, put in the 8500, restarted- 2 TB again. Thaz enough for me right now, I'll try again in a few daze!

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2003 :  20:21:36
What would happen if you tried Mac OS X 10.1 or 10.0 on the stock 604e processor card...

It worked great woth the 7300 on all XPF default settings...

BTW, where did you get X server 1.0/1.2? I tried to get it and the CD woudlnt' boot for me either.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 19 Aug 2003 :  00:23:08
Hello Cory!
I don't know what would happen, the stock card is a couple hundred miles away at my parent's house. As for other versions ov OS X, I will let you know when I have gotten the 8500 to work reliably again at ANY capacity, it's not doing very well. I am moving this topic to the Baloon forum, as I have more general boot issues to ponder now.

I don't remember where the Server 1.0 disk is from. I got the 1.2 version from ****moe. These images are much smaller than I would expect, about 60 MB each. Hope I can find the full install around here somewhere.

As for now, this is the first time I have been online in a week or so. And the first time on a windoze box in years. Better than nothing I guess!

Once I've got these things sorted out I will post details in case anybody else experiences such issues

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.