All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 Centris 610 scsi
Author Topic  
wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  08:14:25
Is the scsi system different between a Performa 630 and a Centris 610? I have an external SC80 hard drive (weighs like 8 lbs and is the size of a large encyclopedia volume!). I was able to hook this drive up to a G3 to get some apps for my 68k machines. Problem is that the Centris 610 won't recognize it. Have a lot of apps that would make the Centris work nicely. Any ideas?

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  08:45:14
It shouldn't be any different, AFAIK. First guess is that it is a termination problem or ID conflict. Second guess is that the date on the Centris is wrong due to a dead PRAM battery. I discovered on an LCIII that if the clock is wrong (i.e., set to 1956 because the PRAM battery is dead), then the LC won't mount external SCSI disks. Fixing the date on the clock solved the problem.

Good luck!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  15:41:45
Actually, the 630 doesn't have any problems running without a PRAM battery, except for losing settings such as the date, alert sound, volume, AppleTalk settings, etc.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  18:33:57
Have tried a few different things. . .

the 80SC is recognized without a problem on the Performa 630. It is being terminated and scsi address of the drive is #3 (have tried a few different addressed between 2-6 and they all work fine).
nothing on the Centris 610. I guess I could network them together with (correct me if I am wrong) local talk and the appropriate cables).

But still, why is my Centris 610 not recognizing scsi? Is there an extension I need to turn on? Will be digging around tonight. Thanks for the tips!

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  18:40:27
so I dig into my control panels and click on "Multi-Driver"

and a window appears saying the following:

"No Cache Driver Found

This control panel only works when a caching SCSI driver has been installed"

could this be the root of my issue. . .digging deeper!

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  18:58:53
Google "Mt. Everything" and download it. It's a simple little control panel that will most likely let you mount the drive, or at least troubleshoot it more.

--------------------
master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  18:59:34
found a control panel on the centris called "SCSI." I opened it up and it shows me the SCSI addresses my comp is using.

There are 9 boxes, and if the address is being used, the box has a light under it. O and 8 are being used by default, but so is 3, the address of the SCSI drive. But I can't find the damn thing anywhere!!!
--FIREWIRE, this "SCSI" control panel has a "mount scsi disks" button. . .I press and nothing happens. Gonna go to google and will try to find MT.Everything. . .thanks!

Edited by - wisof on 29 Jul 2003 19:01:32Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  19:32:03
Thanks to FireWire for directing me to Mt. Everything. . .
The utility was able to tell me that I was being dumb. SCSI #3 is actually the CD-rom. So I changed the 80SC HD to #4 and it mounted fine. . .thanks a lot!

Edited by - wisof on 29 Jul 2003 19:36:40Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  09:07:28
So why do I have to "mount" the disk (which works fine) on my Centris, but my performa 630 finds it on its own?

maybe I shouldn't ask. . .if it ain't broke. . .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  15:47:45
I dunno, some HDs are just like that. I have a 1 gig thats like that, and i've used a 2 gig that is like that, too. I still dunno why...

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.