All Forums
 LC / Performa
 performa and system 7 problems
Author Topic  
wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  08:15:55
I have a performa 630cd w/ 68040 processor, system 7.5.5. At times it will freeze on some extension while starting up. I can boot without extensions, but when I do a regular boot it hangs. . .the mouse is still active, but the computer is not going anywhere. I tried to boot from the cd, but you need to change the startup disk, and w/o extension, that can't happen. I tried to remove all of the extensions to see if I could debug that way, see which one was giving me trouble, but now the system says:

"the "system" file on this startup disk may be damaged. the installer can repair this. . ."

I have no floppies, just the original system disk with 7.5 on it. Help! I just got the tv/video system and I want to check it out!!!!(this was happening prior to the tv/video system, and prior to the 68040)

I have a problem with vintage electronics. . .I am working on it.

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  12:45:01
Back up your hard drive onto a cdr?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  17:08:09
No cd-r to hook up to my performa. . .
I cannot boot off of the cd (restart and hold "c"). . .
I reset the PRAM. . .
I kissed the mac (helps!. . .and sick!)
And I keep getting the same error. . .

Damn this is frustrating. . .I thought macs were supposed to be easy. . .on a PC, one can go into the BIOS and set the startup disk and reboot from there, but with a mac it is a number of keystrokes that doesn't seem to be working. .. any suggestions? Please??

I have a problem with vintage electronics. . .I am working on it.Go to Top of Page

KatMac
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  19:46:36
quote:
I cannot boot off of the cd (restart and hold "c")

Some early models didn't support this shortcut. The older technique is to hold down Cmd-Opt-Shift-Delete, which causes the Mac to skip the startup disk and look for a different one (such as your CD).

Sounds like your System folder or your hard drive is all screwed up. Standard first step is to boot from a disk tools floppy and run disk first aid. But you don't have a disk tools floppy. If you have a bootable CD and the trick above or C key causes it to boot, run disk first aid from there.

When you boot with extensions off, you can still run Extensions Manager and make a CD only set (everything off except Apple CD-ROM). Then boot that, and the Startup Disk control panel can see the CD so you can set it there (with all extensions off, the CD doesn't show up in Startup Disk).

quote:
I tried to remove all of the extensions to see if I could debug that way, see which one was giving me trouble

Did you do this manually by moving files or with Extensions Manager? EM is smart about not removing things in the Extensions folder which should not be moved. Often the problem is a preference file that the extension is looking at rather than the extension file itself. I've seen many Macs where people (or bad installers) screwed around with the system folder so badly that a clean install was more appropriate than trying to fix the mess.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  21:39:31
wisof, you have mail! Either way, if you get to the MLA before you check your mail, you should try booting off the CD by holding down Command (Apple)-Shift-Option-Delete, as KatMac said, and then copy any important documents you have there onto a floppy disk, or another hard drive, or any other storage medium you use. You'll then have to erase your hard drive, using Drive Setup, and then reinstall your system software, and then your applications and documents.

Hope this helps.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  22:21:26
I tried all of the key combos. . .but for some reason nothing worked. . .maybe it is just mac newbie hands. . .anyhow, I downloaded the Balance of Judgement's PC utility which writes a boot disk to a floppy. . .amazing utility! That allowed me to boot and I am back up!

Thanks so much for all of the help!

I have a problem with vintage electronics. . .I am working on it.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  23:02:43
Glad to see you have everything under control.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.