All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Public 68kMLA Server Shutting down
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  11:06:36
Yes, I am sad to bring the news that the server will no longer be up 24/7 publically. The reason is my connection speed, and I am now hosting websites for cash, as well as designing them, and since they are paying clients, they get priority. I will try to open the server publically late at night, and if you need specific files, IM or email me, and I will hook you up. Quadra's Server, and soon BoJ's server shall come to replace mine, and hopefulyl with faster and better service.
I am sorry for any trouble this may cause, and I hope no one is offended in the long run.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  17:32:26
Hey, I kinda need to update my server BAD!, so I might be leaching a bit overnight. 30 gig drive from my 486 may be coming soon for the 6360.

I am close to getting my Honda project done, so I will have more computer time to keep the servers organized. They are a disaster after all of the storms that came through and knocked power out (and caused severe flooding 30 miles south of me).

I might need some help setting up some sort of mail server, and maybe getting a Unix-based webserver goin (instead of MacHTTP/NetPresenz) Unix/Linux is totally new to me

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  22:25:25
This decision is understandable, and it's alot like the one I made a while back since when you don't have resources to let people leech 24x7 it can sure bring a system down. Not that leeching is all bad, but sadly, even in the Mac world, I see alot of people who lurk in the forums and ask for stuff then are gone forever.

That being said, my server will be up most likely at the end of the month, right now it is apart on the floor as we speak, I am doing some touch ups to it, plus the fact that I need to find another solution for internet because my router just isn't handling the traffic. It keeps dropping connections and it gets worse if I start using applications that draw too many network resources.

I have the money order here so I can pay for the shipping for the other drive that will be arriving soon. If I had even an extra Intel PC to stash in the corner and serve that would work too.

Quadra, if you need a good webserver, IM me and I can give you WebStar, that's what I run on my Quadra and it does a superb job, and has less errors than others, plus it supports full resolution of aliases, even on other drives. As for e-mail servers, there are a few out there, I know Apple made a few and so did Eudora. I'm not sure what thier requirements were.

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  22:26:34
This decision is understandable, and it's alot like the one I made a while back since when you don't have resources to let people leech 24x7 it can sure bring a system down. Not that leeching is all bad, but sadly, even in the Mac world, I see alot of people who lurk in the forums and ask for stuff then are gone forever.

That being said, my server will be up most likely at the end of the month, right now it is apart on the floor as we speak, I am doing some touch ups to it, plus the fact that I need to find another solution for internet because my router just isn't handling the traffic. It keeps dropping connections and it gets worse if I start using applications that draw too many network resources.

I have the money order here so I can pay for the shipping for the other drive that will be arriving soon. If I had even an extra Intel PC to stash in the corner and serve that would work too.

Quadra, if you need a good webserver, IM me and I can give you WebStar, that's what I run on my Quadra and it does a superb job, and has less errors than others, plus it supports full resolution of aliases, even on other drives. As for e-mail servers, there are a few out there, I know Apple made a few and so did Eudora. I'm not sure what thier requirements were.

Go to Top of Page

Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  20:58:25
Sure enough... "login incorrect"! Oh well, it's been fun, and I am much grateful to Da Penguin for having made it possible. Still, I am not only interested in leeching, but in getting stuph to who I think needs it, so if in need, I will try to find. At first I thought this was the same pool as the HL server, I should have uploaded to both! I only got broadband a couple ov days per month anyway

Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  21:35:18
quote:

Yes, I am sad to bring the news that the server will no longer be up 24/7 publically. The reason is my connection speed, and I am now hosting websites for cash, as well as designing them, and since they are paying clients, they get priority. I will try to open the server publically late at night, and if you need specific files, IM or email me, and I will hook you up. Quadra's Server, and soon BoJ's server shall come to replace mine, and hopefulyl with faster and better service.
I am sorry for any trouble this may cause, and I hope no one is offended in the long run.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |

No worries, in my opinion your logic is beyond superb. Leeching geeks NEVER take priority over money... unless the leeching geek is one REALLY hot and NICE chick....

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  23:09:30
hehehe... yeah... that's true...

I just need to find some older versions of MacOSX

that's for another day though

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  23:51:44
btw Quadra, hook me up with a special account on your server and I will update it for you. I have 6-7 CD's of software with more arriving soon that I am willing to give. Tell me how much space you have and what you need if any, and I'll upload it.

Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  07:01:07
Well, right now I kinda need to put a bigger hard drive in my 6360 server, since the 4 gig is a *little* full. I have a quantum 8 gig somewhere, but I just need time to put it in and stuff, which will bring the server down for a bit-unless I run a mirror of the mirror out in the garage...

quote:
btw Quadra, hook me up with a special account on your server and I will update it for you. I have 6-7 CD's of software with more arriving soon that I am willing to give. Tell me how much space you have and what you need if any, and I'll upload it.

Once I get the bigger drive installed, I will give u an account and u can maintain it. I will be pretty busy with my new job and whatnot.

Liberated:
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  10:33:27
Sounds good to me. I just got myself a drive and whatnot, so I might consider letting folks in to my server on a temp basis.

Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:24:04
ok, I found my 8 gig quantum: it is in my k6-2 peecee. I will be shutting the server down tonight to put the big drive in and get everything working again....excluding the k6-2

Liberated:
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  18:30:15
Keep me posted. I'll Be happy to fill that drive up.

Then you'll need another one!

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  22:55:11
hehehe... cool... I also'd like to say that I may have Mac OS X.1 server... and if I ever had broadband and a larger hard drive, I'd love to have that act as a MLA FileServer...

if there's any other versions of Mac OSX on hotline somewhere (anywhere) I'd be willing to do multipel night downloading

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  01:03:38
So cory, have you switched your fetish with NT4 with OSX now?

Now we see where you loyalty lies.

Go to Top of Page

Mike

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  04:15:03
I have a Power Macintosh 7300 server. I could run 68KMLA type stuff on it. The connection is Earthlink Cable, 384kbps upload, 2mbps download. It's been down recently because it makes my room really hot but I can start running it full time anyway. I'd like to move it to the closet but I have to pipe in ethernet and power as a minimum (VNC for the administration).

======================
Current Macs:
iMac G4 (main mac)
PowerMac 7300/180 (server)
PowerMac 6100/66 (no monitor!)
Quadra 610 (no monitor!)
Performa 400, upgraded to 475 (busted monitor!)
Apple IIe (dead, but I still keep it :,( )Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  06:55:52
I'ts up. I will set up an admin account, but for now log in as guest and upload away...

Liberated:
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  08:34:48
lol... I've always been in love with NT4... but just since I've had the TiBook and had OSX 10.2 for the iMac... I'm in love with OSX for any newworld macs... I don't know how it'll perform on MY 7300 but it'll be cool I'm sure

I'm told that 10.1 server isnt' very good at much at all... but I think it's worth it just so that I have it and it's cool

in short... well I guess I'm not in love with NT too much because of the lack of a computer to run it on

Official MLA TourGuide

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.