All Forums
 LC / Performa
 Performa 5200 Mobo
Author Topic  
thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  09:24:58
Anyone know how much a 5200 mobo is worth? I have no way to test it but it was in a working computer and it has an ethernet card installed. I'm thinking it's not worth more than $20. Would I do better to remove the ethernet card and extra RAM and sell them separately? I'm throwing out/selling all my computer stuff so there's nothing I want to keep for another computer.
oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:31:54
Not much at all. The 5200 was a really crappy system. There's an article on Low End Mac describing all the inherent flaws. A 6100, or even a Quadra, will feel quicker, especially with A/V stuff and the Internet.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  11:48:59
Yeah I know about it being THE Road Apple, I just wondered what would be the best way to sell it. Would I get more for the RAM, ethernet card, and mobo if I sold them separately or would I get more by selling the mobo with everything on it?
I know it's a really poorly designed board, but still... it is a PPC and therefore can run PPC apps and play MP3s. If someone doesn't care that much about speed or just wants to try PPC Linux or something, it's still useful.
Waiting for more comments on pricing and selling in pieces or whole Go to Top of Page
Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  13:11:09
Not many people bother upgrading that particular machine so your better off selling it on ebay as a complete system (clean it up and take a picture, helps sell it).

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  13:36:35
If the 5200 were complete with case, PSU, HD, etc. then it would have value as a complete ready-to-use system. Otherwise, it depends. For example, if the RAM chips are large, then sell them separately, otherwise few people will want them and you can include them with the mobo. I would suspect that a mobo is more saleable as parts. Who would buy a mobo, but a person who already has most of the other stuff needed for the computer. The ethernet board is more saleable individually, because it would be usable in a wider range of systems than just a 5200.

Regardless of how you sell it, Unknown_K is right that a nice picture helps sell stuff on EBay.

If your aren't in a hurry, try selling the complete collection. If it doesn't sell, then sell the parts.

Good luck!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  16:07:07
Well I'm not planning on selling anything on eBay (I'll leave it at that and you can draw your own conclusions). If I were to sell the ethernet card separately how much is a reasonable price? Right now here's what I'm thinking:

5200 mobo w/ ethernet and extra RAM - $15-20

or

5200 mobo w/ extra RAM - $10-15
10Base-T Ethernet card - $10?

or (not very likely)

5200 mobo (standard RAM) - $10
10Base-T Ethernet card - $10?
Extra RAM - $2-5?

Anyone think this is reasonable? Still looking for suggestions/comments. I'm hoping to get rid of it before August since I'll be leaving for college then, but I guess I could always *shudder* let my parents sell it.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  16:49:44
Yeah, I'd probably say that that's a reasonable offer. How much RAM does it have though?

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  16:58:41
I have no idea. I actually don't have it here yet so I can't check labels and stuff, but both slots are filled so I'm assuming it's the stock 8MB plus another 8MB, 16MB, or (I wish) 32MB.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.