68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 Openstep and Beos Help, Help me on either!
Author Topic  
mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2003 :  19:03:45
Hi I'm home again but I've run into two problems with liberating my PC from windows. When I had the bandwidth I d/l both the Beos and Openstep 4.2 image and burned the images with Toast titanium for mac. I find that both cd's are non-bootable and in windows they can not be recognized. Is there something I have to get these things to work?, bootdisk's perhaps?.

Hopefully there's a simple quick fix, maybe not...

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2003 :  20:10:42
OS 4.2 needs disks... theyre small and at the HL servers...

BeOS is either a program you run from windows (*the personal edition) or a cd image that *should* be bootable... although you might check it out with a dos boot disk...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2003 :  10:42:47
On the Windoze PC use rawrite.exe for DOS to write the two floppy images on the server to disk (boot and drivers). Installation should be easy from there. Just make sure your hardware is supported - search Apple's Knowledge Archive for openstep. Stick in the boot disk, and use the driver disk when prompted for it. You'll want to use the standard ATA/IDE onboard driver for both CDROM and HD, unless you have a SCSI or ATA card of some sort.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2003 :  00:42:49
I keep on getting something about a "panic". Do I have to format the drive first?. Which standard IDE onboard driver are you talking about?. Is openstep very particular about the hardware that it runs on?. The processor in the emachine is cyrix MX II or something and I have two HD's a 500mb IDE out of 5200 and a 2GB Samsung IDE. Does it matter if the drive is cable select or master?.

I'm sort of going on what I find here...
http://julliard.homeip.net/~laurent/GNUstep/OS42_Install.html

Sorry about all the questions!

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2003 :  01:00:03
My rhapsody installs ALL did the same thing :'(

you must have too new or just unsupported hardware...

yeah... it won't run on any of the eMachines (OpenStep) BeOS probably will though maybe....

www.beosonline.com has a newer updated version of BeOS for PC and that'll run on yours I think.

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

WhizzKid
Starting Member

4 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  19:25:58
Where did you get Openstep 4.2?

WhizzKidGo to Top of Page

Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  20:54:02
OpenStep/ Rhapsody is picky about hardware, these ports have not been supported really since 97 or so. Be sure to write down the addresses ov all ov your peripherals, and try installing with minimum configuration. I'd guess a 486 or 586-era pentium would work.
My experience with Toast: do not try to mount the image ov OpenStep, just choose from the menu "disk image" and drop the OS image onto it. Don't mount, just record, hitting yes when Toast asks you to verify that it is a valid image.
As for BeOS, I think you should mount the image in Toast, or with Disk-Copy, then in Toast burn it as a Volume, not optimised.
I have done both ov these last week, also while I had the bandwidth, but I have been away from my boxes so I haven't had chance to verify that/ how they work until this coming weekend

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  10:59:09
BeOS also has a boot-disk that you can make... IIRC there's also a "personal edition" you can install from inside of MS windows... you can then use that to create you're entire "BeOS setup" what can boot straight into BeOS without a floppy even.. (if you're lucky)

BeOS5PE is still kicking around at www.bebits.com (iThink) and it's free to use it legally.

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.