Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  10:42:14
Hi,
i've been offered to perchase 3 computers:
Quadra 660AV
Centris 650
Quadra 840Av

i'm going to see them in a few days. if their in good condition, should i buy one/ more? how much should i pay for each? i've been wishing to find a good & cheap Centris 650 for a while now...

ido.

BTW - my classic II is now in perfect working condition, thank's for all your help!

Edited by - leemac on 04 Jun 2002 07:29:30

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  10:46:33
All three are pretty kick-arse, but especially the 840av. I have no idea what the Israeli conversion might be, but I'd expect to pay US$15-25 for the 660av, US$10-20 for the 650 and US$25-$45 for the 840av.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  11:03:55
I agree with cine... if you can get them for the kinds of prices he described, get them all!

And glad to hear about the Classic II, my friend. Does he/she have a name yet?

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 19
(as of May 29, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  11:38:33
quote:

I agree with cine... if you can get them for the kinds of prices he described, get them all!

me too! but remember that AV macs have serious incompatabilities with some peripherals and A/UX, among other things. i'm no expert, ask cine' about the 840AV and wonk about the 660AV, he just gave one away because he was tired of trying to deal with it.

it's tough to go wrong with a Quadra 650, dunno about the Centris rev. tho. i've got a Q650 but i keep it in storage cuz they're not my cup of tea, but that's just due to lack of style. they're kinda nerdie like PC's IMHO, but the form follows function fairly nicely in that box, at least it's not b***-ugly!

the mobo'd do nicely if you overclocked it and gutted that 840AV POS and turned the sexy box into an A/UX powerhouse!

muahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  11:41:26
quote:
the mobo'd do nicely if you overclocked it and gutted that 840AV POS

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  00:08:58
quote:
And glad to hear about the Classic II, my friend. Does he/she have a name yet?
no he doesn't have one... my mother called it "the baby" but that by no means going to be it's name. NO WAY. anyone have an idea?

quote:
if you can get them for the kinds of prices he described, get them all!
if i had room for them all... my brother is allready naging me to get the classic II off the PC's desk...

quote:
me too! but remember that AV macs have serious incompatabilities with some peripherals and A/UX, among other things.
it's ok, i don't have any fancy peripherals and i don't want/need A/UX. when it comes to unix on old machines Linux is better IMHO ---> lot's of software and Hebrew support. but i'll probebly stick to Mac OS/System.
i think i'm gonna get the Q660AV and connect it to the TV, use it as a digital VCR. now i just have to find a way to connect it to the PC where my CD-R drive is... is AAUI-15 compatible with the standard PC 100/10 ethernet?

Edited by - ido on 04 Jun 2002 00:11:07

Edited by - ido on 04 Jun 2002 00:20:53Go to Top of Page

LeeMac
Trading Post Commander

USA
202 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  07:23:02
Although this thread is about Buying some old Macs it is not a buy,sell,trade item and would fit better in the Quadra/Centris forum.

General LeeMac M.A.C ( Mac Action Commando) Phantom OPS
Trading Post Commander
68k's Liberated 0004
www.68kmla.comGo to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  08:17:15
quote:
Although this thread is about Buying some old Macs it is not a buy,sell,trade item and would fit better in the Quadra/Centris forum.

ok LeeMac, i have no problem with that.

Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  08:55:15
quote:

i think i'm gonna get the Q660AV and connect it to the TV, use it as a digital VCR. now i just have to find a way to connect it to the PC where my CD-R drive is... is AAUI-15 compatible with the standard PC 100/10 ethernet?

If you want to d othis you'd be well advides to get the 840av, it is better for recording video as the video sub-system is faster and the DSP chipis 2x the speed. It takes up more room but then who's complaining

AAUI-15 is compaltible with 10baseT ethernet. You need an AAUI to 10baseT transciever, about $5. It gets it physically connected but you run into all sorts of complaications regarding how you get the two to talk to each other. I'd set up an FTP server or something on the 840av and use an FTP program to pull files off it.

quote:

the mobo'd do nicely if you overclocked it and gutted that 840AV POS and turned the sexy box into an A/UX powerhouse!

<DONG!!!> take that. Now look what you did, the case doesn't fit on my 840av any more. I'd be more likely to change the back panel and put my 7500 board into it. Then I could dispense with A/UX and run Rhapsody DR instead

--
Mark Benson

Visit FlatPackMacs Online
http://fpm.gotdns.com

We have feets

Wooohoo! I have a green star

Macs Liberated = 10Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  09:28:15
quote:

<DONG!!!> take that. Now look what you did, the case doesn't fit on my 840av any more. I'd be more likely to change the back panel and put my 7500 board into it. Then I could dispense with A/UX and run Rhapsody DR instead

OUCH! JEEZE LOUISE! <rolleyes>

*makes note to self that he should duck next time he wants to around with the 840AV-o-philes of the 68kMLA again! *

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  09:49:35
quote:
If you want to do this you'd be well advides to get the 840av, it is better for recording video as the video sub-system is faster and the DSP chipis 2x the speed. It takes up more room but then who's complaining

ok then, i'll take the 840AV... i could play the old games faster as well. but i've heard it's a PITA to upgrade it... i'll see'em in 2 days and report back.
i wish i had the room to buy all three... i'm moving to my own place in about 4 months, i hope i could buy the rest then - for now i don't even have a place to store them in. i can imagine my self living in a tiny apartments with 10+ 68k macs all over the place... maybe i shouldn't buy all those computers... but who can resist the temptation?!? at least they're dirt cheap ATM so i can afford to persue my passion even with my very limited summer student's salary. and i'm saving the planet in the meanwhile! (less computer junk in the dumpsters)

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.