Quadra / Centris
 Sorry2bapain
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  14:40:24
What is interleaved memory?
The time on my Quadra keeps reverting to 1960 or sommat is it a y2k thing and how can I stop it/fix it?
What is sdram?whatis edo ram?

my Quadra takes about 2 1/2 mins to boot up staring with at least 30 of nothing ie:- grey screen.

shaktiman

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  07:19:01
-Replace the PRAM battery - it's the 'small AA' one on the mobo.
-Try selecting a startup disk in the Startup Disk control panel.
-Interleaved memory is RAM which is stacked in a certain config for faster performance. I don't believe that it matters in the 840AV.
-SDRAM and EDO RAM aredifferent types of memory. I'm not sure if the 840AV likes to play with EDO SIMMs.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  08:03:19
quote:

-Interleaved memory is RAM which is stacked in a certain config for faster performance. I don't believe that it matters in the 840AV.

yup! it's kinda like the way a RAID aray stripes data onto two (or more) HDD's so it can write (or read) a file faster than the CPU could communicate with a single drive. Two banks of identical DRAM can be addressed as one bank of really fast RAM and it's called interleaved memory. my Radius Rocket did it well before apple finally put it into the Quadra spec.

some systems use Static RAM because it's faster (like the mac portable) most L2 Caches are SRAM for the same reason. (i would assume that all L1 caches are, dunno tho!)

SDRAM must be some kind of a hybrid, i think that's actually what the portable used, dunno . . .

belay that! don't pay any attention to me, i think i'm babbling incoherently again!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2002 :  23:31:22
Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.