All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 Quadra 700 Video Card
Author Topic  
LoneRanger
Starting Member

31 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  18:16:40
I have a quadra 700. I plan on upgrading this for the use of my brother to surf the web. I think that I may need a graphics card though, so that I can get at least some acceleration. What nubus card is fastest? Also, does the quadra 700 have a 7" or a 12" nubus slot? Also, would a card be worth it if I upgraded the vram to 2 megs?

Thanks.

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2002 :  18:02:07
The Quadra 700 surfs the web fine with onboard video, and upgrading the vram will allow higher resolution and color depth. If you do decide to get a video card, there are two 12" nubus slots at your disposal.

Macdaddy's younger sibling...
68k Macs liberated : LCIII+
LCII
Performa 410
IIci
Quadra 700
Quadra 800
Performa 550

Other macs:
Beige G3/300 tower

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  08:53:30
This is a good list and description of almost every Nubus video card ever made. Arguably the best card out there is the Radius Thunder IV GX series, but they're hard to find and expensive. I'd go with something like a Radius PrecisionColor 24Xk in your 700.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 29 Apr 2002 08:53:45

Edited by - cinemafia on 29 Apr 2002 09:00:36Go to Top of Page

LoneRanger
Starting Member

31 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  12:03:29
Hmm, I see two of them on ebay for 15 dollars. Is that a good deal? Also, are there DBI-15 to vga monitor converters?

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  12:07:10
quote:
Hmm, I see two of them on ebay for 15 dollars. Is that a good deal?

Yeah, that's not bad. I'd never pay more than $20 for a Nubus video card (including shipping), unless with was a Radius Thunder IV GX 1600.

quote:
Also, are there DBI-15 to vga monitor converters?

Yep. Some are fixed frequency, some are variable. Some of the variable ones have little DIP switched to set what res you need for your given monitor.

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

LoneRanger
Starting Member

31 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  12:34:45
quote:

quote:
Hmm, I see two of them on ebay for 15 dollars. Is that a good deal?

Yeah, that's not bad. I'd never pay more than $20 for a Nubus video card (including shipping), unless with was a Radius Thunder IV GX 1600.

quote:
Also, are there DBI-15 to vga monitor converters?

Yep. Some are fixed frequency, some are variable. Some of the variable ones have little DIP switched to set what res you need for your given monitor.

Regular Disappear!

Ah, I bought it. Total cost including shipping: 19.99:)
I checked from the picture and it seems to be either a ColorPro 24xk, or a colorpro 24x. It looks bairly similar to the former:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2019635907

there is the auction, and I checked with the picture here:

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/al/NuBUS/nubus.html

I think I actually have a converter from dbi to vga with little switches. I think I tried it and it did not work though..

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  13:13:48
might even be the Apple card that is almost exactly the same thing, but supposedly would have gone gor more had the seller known how to list it. check the LEM link for that info!

wtf! here's a direct link:
http://www.lowendmac.com/video/apple24ac.shtml

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  14:03:42
quote:
I checked from the picture and it seems to be either a ColorPro 24xk, or a colorpro 24x. It looks bairly similar to the former:

I WISH my RPC 24Xk had a nifty red board like that! But yeah, other than the color of the bread board, that looks exactly the same.

LoneRanger
Starting Member

31 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  15:07:56
quote:

quote:

I WISH my RPC 24Xk had a nifty red board like that! But yeah, other than the color of the bread board, that looks exactly the same.

Regular Disappear!

If you have one and it is hooked up, what monitor do you use with it? Also, if the card supports >640*480 and so does a vga 15 inch monitor that I have, will the converter make it 640*480, or the higher resolution. I lost the manual to the thing, so I will be guessing on the 6 switches...

Thanks for the help.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  15:46:29
quote:

If you have one and it is hooked up, what monitor do you use with it? Also, if the card supports >640*480 and so does a vga 15 inch monitor that I have, will the converter make it 640*480, or the higher resolution. I lost the manual to the thing, so I will be guessing on the 6 switches...

i have the red one, i don't know if it's the Radius or the Apple rev tho. mine's run everything from 640x480 on a 10" VGA to 1152x870 right now on a 21" Radius. works great in portrait mode too.

jt . .

p.s. just checked the control panel: mine's the apple with 1.1 ROM. it'll be interesting to see if yours turns out to be the Radius version. all my other Radius cards do portrait res, but LEM says this one doesn't!

p.p.s. i also have a pile of VGA adapters, what brand is yours? i may have the docs for it. if not, i'll bet that one of mine will have comparable settings, it ain't rocket science!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 29 Apr 2002 15:49:54Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  15:49:44
I've used my RPC 24Xk on both an Apple MultiScan 15" at 1024x768 and a Sony MultiScan 15sf at 1024x768

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  18:41:49
Make sure that you scan your card before you install it, for the NuBus City homepage!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

LoneRanger
Starting Member

31 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  19:26:52
quote:

p.p.s. i also have a pile of VGA adapters, what brand is yours? i may have the docs for it. if not, i'll bet that one of mine will have comparable settings, it ain't rocket science!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 29 Apr 2002 15:49:54

Well, mine has no markings on it, and I cannot really test it yet, but it looks exactly like this one:

http://www.qualitycables.com/quality/images/305624.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  20:24:03
quote:

Well, mine has no markings on it, and I cannot really test it yet, but it looks exactly like this one:

*Slaps Forhead!*

arrgh! i shoulda' googled the freakin' model number FIRST!
live and learn!

anyhoo! mine says SABRE on it, otherwise it's identical to the piccie you linked. light gray outside with royal blue filler plastic showing in the connector openings.

it's made in china and this appears likely to be the documentation you'll need:

http://andreas.martini.org/Monitor%20Adapter.pdf

for model number:
Mac / IBM Adapter : 15DM / HF-6P

bought this one on a lark at a computer show cos it was CHEAP! i kinda collect them, i got another dial type liberty adapter in my peripherals haul from eBay! they're my favorite!

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 29 Apr 2002 20:27:23Go to Top of Page

LoneRanger
Starting Member

31 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  12:49:41
quote:

quote:

*Slaps Forhead!*

arrgh! i shoulda' googled the freakin' model number FIRST!
live and learn!

anyhoo! mine says SABRE on it, otherwise it's identical to the piccie you linked. light gray outside with royal blue filler plastic showing in the connector openings.

it's made in china and this appears likely to be the documentation you'll need:

http://andreas.martini.org/Monitor%20Adapter.pdf

for model number:
Mac / IBM Adapter : 15DM / HF-6P

bought this one on a lark at a computer show cos it was CHEAP! i kinda collect them, i got another dial type liberty adapter in my peripherals haul from eBay! they're my favorite!

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 29 Apr 2002 20:27:23

Wow, thanks! I will let you know when I can test it.

Thanks all.

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  19:09:24
Remember the NuBus City!
www.68kmla.com/nubus_city.html

Submit your scanned card pics, drivers, compatibility and technical info TODAY!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

LoneRanger
Starting Member

31 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  13:50:08
Back again. I got and installed the video card. It works fine on the old mac monitor (I think it is a 12 or 13 inch). It can load the dynamic desktop control panel, but not the RadiusWare control panel. I also cannot get it to work with a compaq MV520 monitor which I know can support 1024*768. Whenever I plug it in, I get a 'frequency over range' box showing the max vert. and horizontal refresh rates the monitor can handle. I tried most of the 6 switch combinations, but none seemed to work. It seemed that the 6th switch did need to be turned on to get the frequency over range. Otherwise, it was just a black screen. Any ideas on why either the monitor or the RadiusWare will not work? Oh, I got the drivers.sit.hqx file.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

LoneRanger
Starting Member

31 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  14:01:43
quote:

Back again. I got and installed the video card. It works fine on the old mac monitor (I think it is a 12 or 13 inch). It can load the dynamic desktop control panel, but not the RadiusWare control panel. I also cannot get it to work with a compaq MV520 monitor which I know can support 1024*768. Whenever I plug it in, I get a 'frequency over range' box showing the max vert. and horizontal refresh rates the monitor can handle. I tried most of the 6 switch combinations, but none seemed to work. It seemed that the 6th switch did need to be turned on to get the frequency over range. Otherwise, it was just a black screen. Any ideas on why either the monitor or the RadiusWare will not work? Oh, I got the drivers.sit.hqx file.

Thanks

Not good, the situation has become worse. I switched the resolution on the 13 inch apple monitor and now get really strange lines and I cannot see what is going on...

Go to Top of Page

LoneRanger
Starting Member

31 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  14:13:11
quote:

quote:

Thanks

Not good, the situation has become worse. I switched the resolution on the 13 inch apple monitor and now get really strange lines and I cannot see what is going on...

Wahaha. I have somewhat solved the mystery. I can get the vga monitor working if I set the resolution using the apple monitor for the radius card to be 1024 by 768 at 60 refresh, but that is not fun to look at. I guess I have to use 800 by 600, ah well. Anyway, anyone know what is wrong with RadiusWare?

Go to Top of Page

LoneRanger
Starting Member

31 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  14:24:03
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks

Wahaha. I have somewhat solved the mystery. I can get the vga monitor working if I set the resolution using the apple monitor for the radius card to be 1024 by 768 at 60 refresh, but that is not fun to look at. I guess I have to use 800 by 600, ah well. Anyway, anyone know what is wrong with RadiusWare?

Wait, scratch that. For some reason, the Radius card now does not even show up in the monitors control panel, which is strange, because it used to. Now all I get is 'quadra built in video'. This is strange, as I can still seem to turn on and off quick color acceleration...Is there a way to get the computer to recognize the card? Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  14:38:04
quote:

Anyway, anyone know what is wrong with RadiusWare?

i might if i knew the specs of EVERYTHING!
Card
ROM rev on card
System on the 700

under 7.5.3 on my 2300c/DuoDock i'm running a Radius PrecisionView 2150 at 1152 x 870 at 75Hz 24 bit.

i only have the Dynamic Desktop control panel installed to do resolution switching without rebooting.

as i recall, RadiusWare is an extension that you don't need.

i'm running the Apple branded 24AC version of the Radius Card with the 1.1 ROM.

all settings other than DynDT on/off are done under the 7.5.3 monitors control panel.

lemme know if you need any other info. you might be havig trouble with the sync mode, but that's a last resort after covering the basics.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  14:40:47
quote:

Wait, scratch that. For some reason, the Radius card now does not even show up in the monitors control panel, which is strange, because it used to. Now all I get is 'quadra built in video'. This is strange, as I can still seem to turn on and off quick color acceleration...Is there a way to get the computer to recognize the card? Thanks.

i don't think you need to tell it to accelerate! try the config i outlined above. and try trashing your monitors prefs!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

LoneRanger
Starting Member

31 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  12:26:10
Ah! I finally fixed it! I am not sure how exactly, but I actually dropped the adapter, and I thought I might have broken it. To my surprise however, I fixed it, and it now works running at 1024 by 768! Well, thanks for all of your suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.