All Forums
 68k Hacks
 Flat Flashlight
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  17:30:23
Ok, this isnt going to be strictly computer only...but its along those lines.
My long deceased newt 2100 has been heavily dismantled. Most stuff i know i cant use has been pitched, but i kept a few parts just to see if i could use them. Since i recently dug up my parts to sell, i rediscovered the backlight "panel." I was wondering if anyone knows the voltage this thing needs to light up. It would be a pretty nifty light to put over my keyboards etc. Anyone got specs on this? I'm aboot to go googling, but thought id check in here first, as always.

~The Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline Server

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  17:59:34
quote:

It would be a pretty nifty light to put over my keyboards etc. Anyone got specs on this? I'm aboot to go googling, but thought id check in here first, as always.

don't know, but it sounds like a great idea!

make sure you try the search terms "schematic", "diagram", "pinout" and "interface" in various combinations with your different search strings. if you happen to uncover some cool links.........

i want to use screwed up powerbook/screen/backlight to create a MacAntFarm, has anyone seen a hack like that yet? it would be pretty cool to watch backlit ants scurrying around, takin'care of business next to my plastic fish habitat!

what do you comrades think of the ant farm concept?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  19:15:27
The ant farm is a wonderful idea! Now THAT'S something I'd like pictures of.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  04:38:22
I managed something similar with an old HP palm top, it shouldn't be too hard if you can find a pin out.

This might be a bit OT but one thing I have always wanted to see on a Mac is one of those LCD screens used as a status display on loads of PC case mods. You can get these in Maplin or where ever pretty cheaply, they seem to be designed to work with serial ports. There are a few gudes to hooking them up vua USB too. Getting one connected would be pretty easy I'm sure. Then all you need to do is get someone to write a program to drive it. My knowledge of programming stop after HTML and Perl but it can't be too hard to pick up a few details such as remaining disk space or something. They'd be great for headless servers.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2002 :  14:56:18
yo! t-bird! how are you making out with the screen lamp?

i've got GREAT news. i just scored a Powerbook 190cs (dead parts machine) for $15.51 and as long as i don't accidentally fix the freakin' thing playing with it, that sucker's a MacAntFarm! on the feets . . erm? . . hoof!

screen doesn't work, but the backlight does! from the pics i've seen this looks like the biggest early pb window for my ant motel!

has anybody seen this hack done before? i sure hope it's new!

pro'ly isn't tho!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.