68k Hacks
 Greetings! and help with Classic II hack
Author Topic  
Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  04:39:50
First up hi everyone!

I've recently acquired a Classic II. As its not a Colour Classic my options for upgrading it are kind of limited.

I've two ideas. First off If the insides are the same as a colour classic and the logic board slots in to one of those bar connectors I was thinking I could solder on a Mac VGA connector so that I wouldn't have to use the internal monitor and could try and jam the important bits in to a 20SC case. Does anyone one know if this is possible? Or would it not have enough power to drive say a 12 inch apple monitor?

The other idea is 2 make a new cubic case out of perspex and fit the whole thing in to that. Like one of the other hacks by the guy who de Ze Power suitcase. Except Rather than having it desk mounted I think it would be cool to suspend the whole thing from the ceiling on one or two thin steel cables. and have arms coming off the bottom to support the Keyboard and a trackball so the whole thing is hanging in the air. (I'd run the power cables down from the roof too.

Finally if I do do this is there anything exciting I could use the Classic II for? Are then any forms of *nix I could run on it, would A/UX work?

Any help or suggestions would be great

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  04:53:22
Heres a link to a very quick and dirty diagram I did in Appleworks! It might make my idea a bit clearer. And obviously if its made of clear plastic I can put some interesting lights inside.

Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  04:54:36
Oops
http://homepage.mac.com/adamhope/.Pictures/machack.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  06:43:13
quote:

First up hi everyone!

I've recently acquired a Classic II. As its not a Colour Classic my options for upgrading it are kind of limited.

I've two ideas. First off If the insides are the same as a colour classic and the logic board slots in to one of those bar connectors I was thinking I could solder on a Mac VGA connector so that I wouldn't have to use the internal monitor and could try and jam the important bits in to a 20SC case. Does anyone one know if this is possible? Or would it not have enough power to drive say a 12 inch apple monitor?

The other idea is 2 make a new cubic case out of perspex and fit the whole thing in to that. Like one of the other hacks by the guy who de Ze Power suitcase. Except Rather than having it desk mounted I think it would be cool to suspend the whole thing from the ceiling on one or two thin steel cables. and have arms coming off the bottom to support the Keyboard and a trackball so the whole thing is hanging in the air. (I'd run the power cables down from the roof too.

Any help or suggestions would be great

welcome, glad to see you made it over here!

the diagram looks like your concept would also make a great gimbal-arm mounted under-counter e-mail/AV/TV/recipe station for a kitchen or mounted on a wall or tabletop somewhere else. if you keep your case design flexible for several mounting orientations in addition to your cable concept it'll really up the WOW! factor!

jt . .

p.s. you forgot to ask the aus contingent where to look for parts and supplies while you're in their neighborhood!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 Apr 2002 06:45:00Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  15:22:59
I should have mentioned, especially as I'm sure I've noticed a couple of Australians on here, I recently moved from Scotland over too Melbourne so I'm not to sure where the best places to look for parts are, especially for the all imoprtant acrylic sheet. And a torx T-15. I was also thinking I'd use aluminium sheet for the brackets that hold the Kb'd and I'd also see if i could run the suspension cables through one of those metal shower hoses.

Here is a driect link to Ze cube which mine will be based on.
http://WWW.CAM.ORG/~benb/computing/index.html

I think I'll ty and make some proper plans next.... If this does all go through I'll be sure to make an illustrated guide on my web site now that I finally got a digi cam

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  16:17:08
quote:
First off If the insides are the same as a colour classic and the logic board slots in to one of those bar connectors I was thinking I could solder on a Mac VGA connector so that I wouldn't have to use the internal monitor and could try and jam the important bits in to a 20SC case.

No, unforutnately, the insides are completely different to that of a CC, which means that it doesn't have the "bar connector" that you speak of.

quote:
I recently moved from Scotland over too Melbourne so I'm not to sure where the best places to look for parts are, especially for the all imoprtant acrylic sheet. And a torx T-15.

Do you live near Dick Smith Electronics? They have Torx screwdrivers of every kind. I picked up a set of Torx screwdrivers a few weeks ago from Dick Smith's, so that i could rip my PowerBook to bits if i ever needed to. After a bit of rooting around, i found a set that included a T8, T10 and a T15. The T15 that i have is not the lon shafted one, but it does the job fine for taking out the bottom two screws.

Either way, have fun and keep us up to date!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  16:27:50
Getting to a dick Smiths shouldn't be too hard. Thanks for the info.

Its a shame about the bar connector. If there was an easy way to get to get a Mac VGA signal out of the classic I could've fitted the whole thing in a lunch box without the screen. It would have been like one of those tool box PC hacks you see all the time,

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  17:53:35
quote:

Getting to a dick Smiths shouldn't be too hard. Thanks for the info.

Its a shame about the bar connector. If there was an easy way to get to get a Mac VGA signal out of the classic I could've fitted the whole thing in a lunch box without the screen. It would have been like one of those tool box PC hacks you see all the time,

How good are you with a couple of metres of cabling and a soldering iron?

I know this site that has pinouts for all the types of power connectors used in old Macs...lets see if the site's up...*looks in Bookmarks*...no its not...still. Oh well, the site is http://www.computercraft.com/docs/mchk.html, if you can get to it.

Good luck, and once again: HAVE FUN!!!!!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.