All Forums
 68k Hacks
 SCSI box
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  13:21:05
Since more room on the HL server would be nice, I'm going to do a Hacintosh idea, only witha bit more style, im hoping. I'm getting Plates from Marchie (right? ) that convert DB-25 to Internal scsi. So here is my idea:
I have a 6100 Case with Power supply, PSU in this turns on regardless of mobo status, so im using this. I'm, going to add a few more power 'plugs'. This is my first question area. First, is this possible, power wise? Second, if it is, i need help with the colours of the cords. I'm figuring just match them by position, but i figured id ask.
OK, assuming that all works, next we put the two scsi changie thingies in, one on the 7200 (server) and one somehow on the gutted 6100. Next we run a external scsi cord between the two plates. Inside the 6100 case i put another scsi ribbon, and attach devices. This is my next area of questions. IS this SCSI'ily possible? Will i be limited to 6 devices total? (computer 0, controller 7 or whatever?) That *should* be all. Let me know if this will work.

~The Basic Modding Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline Server

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  14:07:02
Macaddict had a very comprehensive tutorial of how to make a SCSI box in their May 2001 How-To issue. I suggest searching their website, they might still have that article up somewhere.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  14:30:40
quote:

Macaddict had a very comprehensive tutorial of how to make a SCSI box in their May 2001 How-To issue. I suggest searching their website, they might still have that article up somewhere.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The Sane

May/99, i'm sure you mean.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  14:32:52
quote:

Since more room on the HL server would be nice, I'm going to do a Hacintosh idea, only witha bit more style, im hoping. I'm getting Plates from Marchie (right? ) that convert DB-25 to Internal scsi. So here is my idea:
I have a 6100 Case with Power supply, PSU in this turns on regardless of mobo status, so im using this. I'm, going to add a few more power 'plugs'. This is my first question area. First, is this possible, power wise? Second, if it is, i need help with the colours of the cords. I'm figuring just match them by position, but i figured id ask.
OK, assuming that all works, next we put the two scsi changie thingies in, one on the 7200 (server) and one somehow on the gutted 6100. Next we run a external scsi cord between the two plates. Inside the 6100 case i put another scsi ribbon, and attach devices. This is my next area of questions. IS this SCSI'ily possible? Will i be limited to 6 devices total? (computer 0, controller 7 or whatever?) That *should* be all. Let me know if this will work.

i would have said you probably could not do it, but according to lowendmac the 6100 has a 200w psu:

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/6100.shtml

you'll be limited to 6 devices if there is an internal disk on the mac you are hooking the SCSI tower (misnomer!) to for expansion. the mac is SCSI 7, internals should be SCSI 0, leaving 1-6 open for expansion. watch your power budget especially the startup power surge. i'd suggest a PC case or at least the use of the Y cable adapters unless you have parts available. if you are creative about how you position the drives, they may fit in the 6100 if there is no CD or mobo.

ask away if you want more info.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  14:53:18
Currently there are 2 drives inside the 7200. This leads me to the following:
Should I run the external box off of the internal or external scsi? External i sslower if im not mistakened.
The 6100 has been gutted (mobo forsale btw) leaving plenty of room. IF everything worked perfect and fans were set up properly i could fit in a max of 10 standard 3.5 scsi HD's. I'm not going to do this of course, i only hacked the PSU cables to hold 4 devices. With no mobo or monitor or anything, i figured relatively, this is a small load for the PSU, even at immidiate startup. The reason i chose the 6100 was due to both money and space issues. It will fit perfectly underneath the 7200 once I am done, sliding out when i need to add more drives. I'm also thinking nice paint job when im done. BTW, thanks for the MA article, i think i have that one and if not then surfin time it will be.

~The Penguin

There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  14:55:51
Odds of these plates working in a 6100 are slim.. I don;t think there are any holes they will fit in. They are made to fit into the openings for PCI slots.

I guess a hacksaw and glue would work, but the 6100 has a dinky power supply, and not alot of space. I'm useing an old Packard Bell minitower.

~^^archie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  22:13:06
quote:

Odds of these plates working in a 6100 are slim.. I don;t think there are any holes they will fit in. They are made to fit into the openings for PCI slots.

Yes, but if you unscrew the 25 pin SCSI connector (I'm assuming that is what you're using) you'll be able to mount that thru the hole in the case where the motherboard SCSI connector originally stood out.

I've got an old PC tower that currently holds a CD and two HD's. I've had it 'fully loaded' with drives - but the SCSI voodoo almost drove me nuts, so now i limit myself to three or four drives only.

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  05:16:47
Well I'm going to have to wait for the plates to actually get here, but flash, i had the same idea. The case is completely bare, and i was thinking i may fashion some plexiglass parts as well as paint a few things....but that is later.....
The PSU does handle 4 devices, and that was 2 HDs and 2 CDs, however i dont have a scsi ribbon in eitehr the right shape or right number(5). Anyone out there have a scsi cable crimpper thing? I thought I heard someone say something aboot having one once.
Anyone wnat to donate some drives too?

~The Penguin

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  06:00:14
*puts up hand*

uh that was probably me when I was building the SCSI box. the crimp tool is fairly cheap (mine was about AUD$30.00) and by the time you pay for cable and connectors you can make cables for less than five bucks each!

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  09:41:27
quote:

Anyone wnat to donate some drives too?

even though i don't do hotline (yet) i think i've got a better idea, if enough comrades will sent in $1-$5 ea. to help, i'll mail you a $5 bill to get the ball rolling. lets get an ACARD IDE-SCSI bridge and a huge (by SCSI standards) incredibly cheap, IDE drive! a (microscopic, by IDE standards) 2-20 gig donation from an upgraded 630 or an iMac will probably be bigger and faster than any 6 SCSI drives you can get your hands on. a 20-60 gig drive shouldn't be more than a few bucks on eBay or from a computer show like the ones i've been checking out lately! start a new topic about it in 68kMLA news or in peripherals and when 10 more comrades offer donations e-mail your mailing address or figure another way to receive the $ if PAF requires a workaround. i think iot's a worthy cause and ownership of the bridge would be retained by the 68kMLA for use on servers, wherever, whenever, by whoever is ssyoppin' the thing in the future. what do you think comrades?

jt

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  23:23:59
Check the trading post for more info about donations and the like. Sounds like a good idea trash, lets just see if it works though. I also posted some items for sale to get some initial cash flow going. Still gona go ahead with my scsi box, just to have fun. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

~The Penguin

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  23:46:10
quote:

Still gona go ahead with my scsi box, just to have fun. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

sounds like good contingency planning to me! you can count on at least a fiver from me if a few other comrades decide to chip in!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.