68k Hacks
 Outdoor Mac Garden!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  14:03:50
For those of you who haven't been in the pic thread in the Lounge, I'm working on a Patio Project for my apartment. So far, all the hard work is done and the rest is judt decorating. Anyway, I have some ideas for adding some 68k-goodness to the Patio, and wanted some feedback on the implications of this as well as weatherproofing, etc.

Here's a good overview of the patio as it is now. Now, once my Duo 280c comes back to life, it could obviously and easily be toted out to the patio for outdoor 68k excursions. However, I wanted something permanent. One of the ideas was a compact-mac planter. This will obviously not be a functional mac (as it will be watered frequently!), just an empty case from maybe a Classic I filled with soil and flowers sprouting out the top.

Also, I would like at least one functional mac out there. My IIci project is going to take residence within the entertainment center, my LC 475 is likely going to become a backup server and my IIfx is going to become an IP router, so that leaves the...you guessed it...ColorClassic! I'm working out a deal to get a new case to replace the damaged one, and then I just need an LC 575 Mobo for a Mystic upgrade. I think it would be tres chic out there, no?

Any other ideas, especially how I could intergrate the CC into the scene? Keep in mind that with Summer coming here in the High Desert, we're not going to be seeing any rainfall for a good 6 months, so weatherproofing isn't a huge issue, though if anyone wants to touch on it, feel free.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  14:52:51
quote:

that leaves the...you guessed it...ColorClassic! I'm working out a deal to get a new case to replace the damaged one, and then I just need an LC 575 Mobo for a Mystic upgrade. I think it would be tres chic out there, no?

sounds cool, just wanted to mention that i saw something called a Mystic Kit 9or some such) on eBay last night (i think) if you're interested. dunno what it is, but it popped to the top of the stack when i read your post.

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  14:59:46
Many sellers on eBay sell LC 575 mobos labelled as "ColorClassic Mystic Conversion Kits", which is sort of a euphemism! Unless, of course, they include lots of goodies like maxed out RAM/VRAM, A BIG hard drive and maybe a Nubus card. Then they can call it anything they want!

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 10 Apr 2002 :  08:15:53
Alright, SAF is "GO" for the compact-mac planter. Now I just have to find a dead Classic or SE to use...anybody got one? Otherwise, I'll start hitting the thrift stores.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  22:59:04
quote:

Alright, SAF is "GO" for the compact-mac planter.

Yay!!!!!! Glad to see you've got around the biggest obstacle yet!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2002 :  06:20:51
I just have to jump in and say, everytime I see the title of this thread "Outdoor Mac Garden" I envision something along the lines of a Japaneese rock garden with classic Mac cases widely spaced on a rectangular bed of white sand that has been raked into swirly pattrens. Ok I'm done now..

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2002 :  06:55:41
I've got a IIci case out front with some basil and mint growing in it

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2002 :  08:22:02
The garden is looking good, no new pics yet, though. No macs out there yet, but last night I did sit out there with my Duo 280c! I'm hoping to find an SE or Classic I soon to use as a planter. I went to the thrift store in Burbank that I frequent and they seem to be fresh out of Macs!

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2002 :  10:06:02
what the fvck is a patio??

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops

Graphic Propaganda Manager Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2002 :  10:24:45
quote:

what the fvck is a patio??

pat·i·o Pronunciation Key (pt-, pät-)
n. pl. pat·i·os

1.An outdoor space for dining or recreation that adjoins a residence and is often paved.

2.A roofless inner courtyard, typically found in Spanish and Spanish-style dwellings
[Spanish, from Old Spanish, possibly from Old Provençal patu, pati, pasture, perhaps from Latin pactum, agreement. See pact.]

. . . . now go wash your mouth . . .errr? . ! . . . keyboard out with soap!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2002 :  10:40:40
quote:
. . . . now go wash your mouth . . .errr? . ! . . . keyboard out with soap!

Errrrr....fingers - maybe?

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.