68k Hacks
 Internal CD-ROM in IIfx Hack?
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  14:57:40
has anyone seen this done anywhere? if i move the 1/2 height HDD underneath the drive tray or into the position of the second FDD, it looks like all i need to do is cut a port for the tray to pop out of the side. i've got some extra internal drives i picked up sitting here and it looks good. does this sound interesting or kludgy?

jt

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  15:32:28
For a minute there I thought you were re-opening th IIfx/CD-ROM thread I started way back!! Or was that on 'fritter?

Anyway, yes, it's definitely possible, in fact it's probably the easiest hack you'll ever do! I was going to do it to my own IIfx until my 840av stole the show.

Just realize there's only one power connector on the IIfx mobo, so if you want a HDD too, you'll have to cut 'n splice ala Coxy's 950.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 01 Apr 2002 15:33:19Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  15:41:08
quote:

For a minute there I thought you were re-opening th IIfx/CD-ROM thread I started way back!! Or was that on 'fritter?

Just realize there's only one power connector on the IIfx mobo, so if you want a HDD too, you'll have to cut 'n splice ala Coxy's 950.

yeah! the freakin' cooling vent opening lines line up with the tray, i don't even need to use my metal fabricating equipment, it feels like cheating! (pssst! don't tell ~coxy, but "Y" adapters are DIRT CHEAP at PC Emporiums!)

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  19:29:30
quote:

"Y" adapters are DIRT CHEAP at PC Emporiums!)

That would make him feel dirty, though (no pun intended)

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  20:14:13
quote:

quote:

"Y" adapters are DIRT CHEAP at PC Emporiums!)

That would make him feel dirty, though (no pun intended)

you can get the same thing at Tekserve!

I needed to clean off my workbench to do some actual work, and my pet IIfx was sitting there with the case open. so now the hard disk is happ as a little bat pup hanging upside down (just the way it came in the oddball dual-purpose bracket that can be stacked on top of a floppy cage) clipped into the same spot from the bottom via a flat drive plate. There is still room for two more internal HDDs until i can find the proper terminator for external drives.The CD-ROM Drive is installed on a full size drive plate in the normal position temporarily. i'll have to drill new mounting holes and move it forward to abut the tray-slot after i cut it and get the shim-height adjusted perfectly. but it's functional once i fab a new cable and install it along with the "dirty" power cable "Y" adapter!

too easy! but i did get to rebend the sheet metal clips on one plate and drill a hole in the other!

*big whoop! what a wussy freakin' hack! bleh!*

but at least it's ready to button up!

jt

p.s. i still can't get over this linking stuff almost instantly!

Edited by - trash80toG-4 on 01 Apr 2002 21:07:49Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  07:06:55
Why pay a few dollars when wire is free and better than cascading Y-adaptors?

Actually, I was going to build some originals, but the connectors don't come with pins and I was getting tired of waiting to gather together all the parts. (Not to mention that I didn't have any disk drive power connector crimping tools)

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  07:28:48
quote:

Why pay a few dollars when wire is free and better than cascading Y-adaptors?

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  07:32:31
Besides, I had all those handy pizzabox power cable connectors that match the 9x0 PSU socket as well!

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  08:31:38
quote:

now the hard disk is happ as a little bat pup hanging upside down (just the way it came in the oddball dual-purpose bracket that can be stacked on top of a floppy cage) clipped into the same spot from the bottom via a flat drive plate. There is still room for two more internal HDDs until i can find the proper terminator for external drives.

Clever! (is that a Quantum Fireball HD, by the way?)

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  08:58:38
quote:

Clever! (is that a Quantum Fireball HD, by the way?)

dunno, it's buttoned up. i'll let you know later.

it's a gorgeous pcb on the bottom/top and a godaweful gorgeous burnished aluminum pressing bolted onto a flat plate chassis and has brass plated siderails for pcb clearance/mounting. it's destined for a clear plexi/plastic vacuum-formed replacement for the pressing and a reformat for vertical orientation, as installation in a clear case hack with good all around visibility seems to be in order

jt.

jt

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  11:23:24
quote:

(is that a Quantum Fireball HD, by the way?)

nope, it was something else, but i forgot to write it down, it's 250 MB and too purty to be hidden away.

the CD is on the chain and everything is fully functional with the lid off, just need to chop a port in the side.

suggestions/opinions please:
do you think this thing would look better with just a tray slot cut in the lid or if i cut the lid and case away to allow the entire face of a 5.25" peripheral to show? i'm torn on the issue, if i get an ide-scsi bridge it would be very cool to put it on a removable drive tray chassis and be able to swap humongous drives in and out of a II series case, but having just a tray port might look really elegant, a slot loader with no overt external appearance mods would be nice, but i'd like to have somethnig different on the outside.

perplexed'
jt

immoderator - peripherals

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  12:32:17
I think a slot-loader would look best, but of course SCSI slot-loading CD-ROM's are hard to find (not impossible, though). Caddy-loading CD-ROM's are pretty damn easy to obtain though....how bout that?

Otherwise, I would have to say try cutting a hole just for the tray, not the entire fascia.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  14:51:05
quote:

I think a slot-loader would look best, but of course SCSI slot-loading CD-ROM's are hard to find (not impossible, though). Caddy-loading CD-ROM's are pretty damn easy to obtain though....how bout that?

Otherwise, I would have to say try cutting a hole just for the tray, not the entire fascia.

i've got so many freakin' IIfx's i might as well do one of each. i like the tray slot because it's more visually interesting when cycled, i'm almost finished modding the sheet metal bay from the LC630 that was a leftover from the WordWrightAV hack that's on hold. it's an amazing drop in fit. when i hinge it in the back so the front tilts up to change drived mounted on 5.25" drive trays i'll be able to slide them out 1-2-3. i've got a dead cd that i'm hacking into a chassis for a removable IDE drive tray system, i just need to order an IDE-SCSI bridge and i'll have a removable IDE drive tray bay on the side of a IIfx that's swappable with a SCSI CD-ROM drive and both will connect/disconnect when slid in or out using the drive tray/connector system from an LC630, this may open a few eyes! i'll still need to pop the lid off to tilt the carriage up to swap the tray chassis for the CD, but swapping ide HDD's or any other 3.5" drive (eg. internal zip, superdrive or other small cartridge drive) will be a snap!

jt

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  18:32:12
Sounds cool: pics when you're done, please!

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.